2013 A-TOM-MIK Invitational Results (Pictures added)

Friday Prefish Rules:

- Weigh 2 Kings
- Salmon Only (King or Coho)
- One Salmon must weigh 20 lbs.
-

if 1 is under 20 lbs. is 20â€

- You must weigh in 2 Salmon

- Only 2 Salmon allowed in cooler at weigh-in

- No 1 fish entries

- No observer needed on Friday

- You may
fishing at any time

- No Communication rule not in effect

- Weigh in time to be announced

Payout:

st
 -  $ 400

nd
 -  $ 300

rd
 -  $ 200

th
 -  $ 100

th
 -  $  50

http://www.atommikinvitational.com/prefish.htm

Edited by A-TOM-MIK

My 2013 event on Saturday Aug 10 was a tough one to officiate, the weather for Saturday was forecasted for very fair weather/winds every day of the week until into the day on Friday, never worse than 1-3 ftrs. A spike of winds from 10-20 mph was suppose to hit late day Friday and into the night and then subside, as I watched the “actual†wind speed it did just that, from 6 until 8 pm it spiked then diminished, the wind continued to diminish throughout the night for approx. 6 hours. Depending on which marine forecast you looked at for Saturday they all varied from 1-3 to with the worst forecast I saw at 2-4’s. I never saw a smallcraft on any site, as I drove atop Wrights Landing Sat. am to take a peak at the break walls I noticed water shooting over on occasion, I had decided at that point to delay the event 1 hour and take a ride out to about 80-100 fow and take a look. With 29 year veteran Ret. Senior DEC officer on my boat out we went, as I hit about 60- 70 fow I was cruising at 12 kts. I shut down in 80 fow and killed one engine and trolled in each direction keeping a pretty easy trolling speed at 2.5 mph. The senior officer noted that he had patrolled in water much worse on many occasions out of his smaller vessel, we each classified the waves at about 2-3 with some larger rollers mixed in, I cruised back in at my normal trolling speed of 3200/25 mph. I had in the back of my mind how I saw the waves breaking the wall from atop Wrights earlier, the lake was rolling and crashing the wall but with hardly any white on the lake at all. So the decision was made at that time to make the event a go, I made the announcement on the VHF and waited to leave the dock, sparing the shotgun start as to avoid the bad water that would be created in the cut of the harbor with 49 boats. I had safety on my mind the entire time I was making this critical decision, I always think of safety whether I'm calling the shots or not during the many events I fish. As I took my team out on the lake at about 6:15 which consisted of my cousin and our 2 women (who did not want to go through another weather scenario like we experienced earlier in the year in another event), I was hopeful the weather would continue to subside. I was unpleasantly surprised the wind/waves were building quite fast as a result of another wind spike..... I wasn’t too happy for a few hours but the wind did settle a bit and the water continued to calm some until I picked lines at 1 pm and ran in. I will add that if the lake conditions I saw at 5:45am, were consistent with what I saw at about 8-9 am I probably would have opted for Sunday, I was optimistic and hopeful of making the best possible decision with the over-load of info I have tucked into my head from many years of dealing with similar situations being on both sides of the tourney scene. I am a very busy person and to be fluid with all actions in my life comes rather easily, not a whole lot gets to me anymore, but I struggled with the decision I made Saturday am, chances are if I would of opted for Sunday the lake would of calmed shortly thereafter, its just the way it goes sometimes. I extend my apologies to you (and I don’t even know who you are) and also to the  1 other team who confronted me with a hopeful wish if this situation were to come around again I would opt a different decision. There is a lot to this “tourney thing†to consider, its not for all that's for sure, and the hard earned dollars it takes to participate do not come easy, I can appreciate that. From the smaller boats to the biggest in each field there will always be hurdles, weather, breakdowns etc. and a lot of times its shear experience that get us through these times. I always have to consider trying to satisfy a majority, for those boats that opted not to fish as they may have figured it was un safe, then they made the right call, but I can never hold up an entire field to satisfy a couple boats. I remember owning an 18 ft Grumman when 18 years old, just hoping someday I’d be lucky enough to compete in the ESLO. Every weekend came and it seemed like the wind blew and I had to wait till the next ): For what its worth I am truly and dearly sorry of any bad feelings that will leave my 2013 event. If anyone chooses not to enter in 2014 due to my decisions in 2013 (even if I don’t know who you are) that is something that will never go away for me ): All in all the 2013 event was won out of a smaller vessel and the catches that came in were pretty darn great. Talking numbers 40 boats weighed fish out of 47, 2 boats did not make the event d/t dealings at home and 2 did not fish d/t mechanical failure. For the 7 boats out of 47 that did not weigh fish these numbers were much lower in comparison to many events than have been fished even under flat tourney waters. The water conditions were very fishable after the fact, possibly even a higher catch rate/boat if there were any such thing as valid comparative figures. 

tom we on team dipsy ranger wish to thank you very much for such an out standing event. we admit not the most ideal conditions  but we feel that we held our own, for only fishing out of that port on big fish Friday and on yesterday . the lake we fished on the sodus pro/am was about the same wave/winds and we took 1st in the am division. we cant thank everyone enough for all they did to make this day the BEST  it could be. from the people setting up tables and chairs to all the great sponsors that help make events like this happen. :yes:  :yes:  we cant wait to see everyone next year !!!   a very big grats to team thrillseeker!!! just wow. it can be done in a small boat.

Edited by crumcake1223

very well said  was a great event and enjoyable bunch of people liked the one day format everyone was relaxing and enjoying a great meal .no one had to rush out on sunday to get home see you all next year

team green dolphin 2

No hard feelings I guess I let my emotions and vibe from others on shore watching others fish. I understand the decision now and going to chock it up to be lacking in the experience department. By the way congrats to vince and his team as well as everyone who fished on Saturday!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and the congrats. Running these events can be thankless, and tough decisions have to be made.The early morning buzz on the red dock was the problems that some teams would face if the event had to be moved to Sunday. I know one thing for sure, Tom cares deeply for each competitor, and made the call based on his info and observations.

Our team noticed all the attention to detail in every aspect of this event--kudos to Tom, Steph, and his volunteers, great job! We also saw many smiling faces with the bonus prizes awarded below the top 10-courtesy of the generous sponsorships.

Lastly, I heard more than one of the experienced competitors say how the 'Dipsey Ranger' team reminded them of themselves years ago. I think we will hear more from these gamers! How fitting, an 18' PENN YAN!

Thanks again Tom, for all the work in putting this on.

I believe the waves for the Sodus proam were bigger!! Having said that we didn't weigh any fish in the tournament but we fished all day and although frustrated because we lost a couple pigs at the back of the boat I still had a great time with friends and can't wait to redeem ourselves next year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tom thanks again for running à first class tournament. The weather was tuff but it made the playing field closer and many teams had to resort to plan "b".

Thats Fishing and adjustments had to be made by everyone. It is extremely exciting to be competing against such great fisherman on lake ontario and being in the presence of some of the finest captains the lake has to offer. I fully agree with Greg from Top Gun, as he stated it is a shame that the city of Oswego doesn't recognize the impact of this event on the community. Tom puts forth a tremendous effort and with a city like Oswego the potential for this tournament can be limitless. Once again thanks to Tom and all the organizers. I also would like to thank Team Screamer for the use of their trolling bags. Finally, congratulations to Team Thrillseeker from team Hook N Up.

Chuck Rutt

Sent from my HTC One X using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tom good job on saturday. Already looking forward to next year. We have been through enough of these to know when it comes to weather decisions there is never a 100% right call. It's always changing & never predictable. I have stood by tournament directors over the years and watched them get beat up equally by both GO & No Go decisions.  Congrats to Thrillseeker and all the top finisher's on saturday under tough conditions

Edited by burkyboy

Great job Tom! Especially with the tough decisions you had to make. Our team was glad you made the choice you did! Tough but it was fishable. Again congrats to Thrillseeker  and the other top placing teams!! Looking forward to next year.

Tom made the right decision for the good of the whole, and thats all you could ask of him. Lesson learned for everyone, from tournament organizers to small boat owners. I for one have pleanty of boat and the conditions and safety wasn't a concern, nor did it effect our presentation as much as it did my stomach :(...  with that said the bigger boat didn't help land the fish, thus a poor performance on our part. I will take the combination of the poor execution of landing fish and the experience of fishing in big water for the first time in this boat, and use that as a lesson and modivation for the next event, which OTL will surely be a part of. Great job Tom and the other organizers as well as the generous sponsors. Additionally, congrats to Vince and the team for a great win!!