High Test gas

Adk1

The owners manual for the 5.0L V8 Mercruiser I/O that came with my 1986 Thompson says minimum 88 octane, so regular 87 octane gas is out. I have always gone with mid-grade and higher. I don't know about other Marinas, but the Gas Dock at the Town of Newfane Marina only has 89.

Tim

In my 1986 305 Chevy , If I don't run at least 89, it pings. 91 0r 93 ain't a whole lot more so I go for that when I can . Also runs much better w/ non ethanol.

Also if you would get a little better MPG w/ high test , and Non eth, And factor in not having to put in ethanol stabilizer, the price diff could be a wash.

Follow your manufacturers recommendation. We had been running high test in our 140 Evinrude since new, and found out earlier this summer it only needs 87. It actually runs better on the 87. Really surprised me.

I run 89 or better in my mercruiser, with an ethanol treatment. I also run 89 or better, with ethanol treatment in my tractor, lawnmower, and chainsaws. They seem to run better, and I think in the long run there are less maintenance issues.

Just a heads up to all... My cousin Tom (he's an auto mechanic) told me Fast Track gas stations carry a 91 octane gasoline with no ethanol added. Unfortunately the closest 1 to me is Henrietta, near RIT. Unfortunately for me it's out of my way, but there is one in Ontario on 104. You guys on the east of Rochester could take advantage of that for your boats.

Check it to confirm, I haven't had a chance yet.

If those i/o start to ping you could always retard the timing a bit to help. also goes the same for picking up a few hp by advancing it a bit. i know my grand father-in-law has his a tad advanced to help with the idling for long periods of time.

The Olcott Town gas dock also had some kind of stabilizer in it too. I was surprised how low the price was, we always get our gas there now, when we fish out of this port.

Niagara county has some kind of law that prohibits marinas from charging more than .10 cents over gas stations inland. I believe that's it but I could be wrong.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Niagara county has some kind of law that prohibits marinas from charging more than .10 cents over gas stations inland. I believe that's it but I could be wrong.

In Monroe County the law must be $1.00 over the inland gas stations!

The Olcott Town gas dock also had some kind of stabilizer in it too. I was surprised how low the price was, we always get our gas there now, when we fish out of this port.

I believe it is because they are municipal. Their prices have always been comparable to gas station prices for 89 octane. I've even seen Newfane Marina's price be lower than gas station prices for 89. That's why a lot of big boats come down to Olcott from Wilson to gas up, it's almost a buck a gallon cheaper 6 miles down the lake from the private marinas in Wilson.

Tim