Venison Jerky

T_barb

Just got done with my first ever batch of venison jerky.

I made it using ground venison, a Jerky gun and seasoning from Cabelas. I bought a commercial grade dehydrator, which seems to have done a great job (..although I think I may have over dried a bit).

All in all I thnk it came out pretty good (again a bit over dried).

I am just curious to get other people's input on their processes or techniques for making jerky to shorten my learning curve.

How long do people dehydrate for? at what temperature?

Do you heat in oven before putting in dehydrator (I guess this is recommended to prevent bacteria)?

What type of seasoning do you prefer?

Figured other people may have similar questions..

Thanks in advance for the help..

Tom

Liquid smoke, teriyaki, a little bit of garlic salt, and don't use the jerky gun IMO its hard to get just right. I like to take the kind of junk pieces from when we cut the deer up and use that for jerky and slice the roasts up real thin when we have the deer cut up by the butcher

I find that when we do jerky I use whole roasts and slice them with a meat slicer this works best when frozen,slightly thawed the slices are much more even and slicer doesn't pull pieces down in side it. Then I soak in brine over night in fridge moving pieces around to get even coating on meat. When I put jerky on dehydrater I run pieces between fingers to get extra brine off. Then dehydrate 165degrees and watch it usually takes a few hours

i also use ground venison, and a jerky shooter, mix the seasoning in, and then vacuum seal in bag for 24 hrs, then I can mix it every few hours inside the bag. Commercial dehydrater 165* for around 4 hrs. I take it out a little early (still easly bendable)and let set for a few minutes before bagging it up. It will keep drying out while cooling down. With 10 grandkids it doesn't last long :)

Use the nesco " original " jerky cure and mix it exact. (real close) 4 lb at a time will fill the dehydrator. If ya have a small shooter its a tad thinner than the bigger one so time will very .... high temp 165..... after 4 to 5 hrs start checking dryness it goes from almost right to dry in a short time ,ive shared with many people and they say its the best they ever had .....and I agree..

Anyone do it in a dehydrator that just has a fan but no heat? I got one of these as a gift a few years ago & haven't used it. I want to make it with ground venison using the shooter but wonder if I need to get a different dehydrator.

I use an older dehydrator and it takes a long time for thicker pieces, 8- 12 hrs. Prefer the dry mix seasoning as sit dries faster but really want to upgrade to a new dehydrator.

When you use ground venison that's assume that's not deer burger meat as made by a butcher? Tried that in oven with jerky gun and it was a greasy process. Figure it had too much "fat" they used for binder. Can you use 100% ground venison for the jerky gun?m

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

i also use ground venison, and a jerky shooter, mix the seasoning in, and then vacuum seal in bag for 24 hrs, then I can mix it every few hours inside the bag. Commercial dehydrater 165* for around 4 hrs. I take it out a little early (still easly bendable)and let set for a few minutes before bagging it up. It will keep drying out while cooling down. With 10 grandkids it doesn't last long :)

Dave,

Farmers Place over near you, makes some darn good products.

We usually have him make some bologna, and hot sticks every year.

The balogna eats real good with sharp cheese, and Ritz crackers. :yes:

Scott

Dave,

Farmers Place over near you, makes some darn good products.

We usually have him make some bologna, and hot sticks every year.

The balogna eats real good with sharp cheese, and Ritz crackers. :yes:

Scott

Scott,

He sure does! I usually take at least one up to him, took the doe I got with the bow up this year, love those hot sticks, Jerky is great too but a little pricey! Got another doe with the muzzy yesterday and my son is taking that one up to him this morning. Cut the 6 point up at home! Hunting seasons over now lets get spring browns!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait!!

Dave

Yeah, he does get a good price for some of that.

I hear you about the browns.

I hope we get some cold weather to put ice on Oneida, so we can pluck some Walleyes/Jack Perch outta' there first.

Time to put the deer gear away now.

Happy Holidays to you, and if you see Draggin' Fly, tell him we said the same to him and his Mrs.

Yeah, he does get a good price for some of that.

I hear you about the browns.

I hope we get some cold weather to put ice on Oneida, so we can pluck some Walleyes/Jack Perch outta' there first.

Time to put the deer gear away now.

Happy Holidays to you, and if you see Draggin' Fly, tell him we said the same to him and his Mrs.

I will do that, I hear you on the ice! Wishing you and your family a Happy Holidays too!

That's what I was told also. When you think its almost done, take it out.

I'm doing 4 pounds in my smoker as I type.

I've tried many and the one I always go back to is:

Ground venison mixed with 25% pork

Jerky Cure Mesquite seasoning- follow instructions for mixing, cover in fridge for 24hrs

Jerky gun for strips in a dehydrator set at 165

Check at 4-1/2hrs no more than 5hrs

Shawn

Dale's marinade, (add some cayenne and red pepper if u like it spicy) apple cider, garlic powder. Let marinade for 24 hrs and smoke indirectly using applewood. I usually bring it ice fishing but doesn't last too long in my house. I prefer the thin slices off the sirloin tips or a roast over the ground, but to each their own.

Just got done with my first ever batch of venison jerky.

I made it using ground venison, a Jerky gun and seasoning from Cabelas. I bought a commercial grade dehydrator, which seems to have done a great job (..although I think I may have over dried a bit).

All in all I thnk it came out pretty good (again a bit over dried).

I am just curious to get other people's input on their processes or techniques for making jerky to shorten my learning curve.

How long do people dehydrate for? at what temperature?

Do you heat in oven before putting in dehydrator (I guess this is recommended to prevent bacteria)?

What type of seasoning do you prefer?

Figured other people may have similar questions..

Thanks in advance for the help..

Tom

Quick answers.... I use ground and a shooter as well. For seasoning, I use a mish--mosh of stuff, but always use Tender-Quick per the directions instead of salt.

For dehydrating, I have one of those round ones from BPS, it does the job in about 8-10 hours.

I take all the jerky when it's done, put it on a cookie sheed and stick it in a pre-heated oven (300 deg) for 10 minutes to make sure there is no bacteria alive on it. Between this step and the tender-quick, the stuff will keep for a long time - but I don't know how long because every batch I make is gone within a week.