Painting "fish" on the side of the boat...

Now that we can't fish in NY anymore, I am starting on a project boat I bought this fall and had an idea. I will be stripping and reprinting the entire boat and was wondering if anybody has painted or ever thought of:

painting "fish" on the bottom/side of their boat to either resemble a baitfish or a school of fish?

I was thinking this could possibly attract a fish or at least get it to look towards you. It could result in more fish being "attracted" to the area you are in or it could be a big waste of time/effort.

I want to try a couple here and there, probably not a school, just 2 or 3 on a side. I was thinking maybe airbrushing them or a simple way would be to cut out a 6-8" oval out of the aluminum foil tape. This could easily be removed if wanted and it would throw off quite a flash for little effort being put into the idea.

So, what are your thoughts on this crazy idea?

Paint a patch on the bottom, maybe 2 ft square, with phosphorescent paint. In the middle of it paint the shadow of a small fish or two. When setting up to fish, lower an underwater flash unit to charge up the paint patch.

Fish looks up; sees this big shadow; then a lit up patch with a couple small ones there; yummy! If you heard an occassional thud on the hull, you'll know it's working as the fish will be hitting the hull. Once a month check for loose rivets and/or cracked hull.

Where you fish?

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Paint a patch on the bottom, maybe 2 ft square, with phosphorescent paint. In the middle of it paint the shadow of a small fish or two. When setting up to fish, lower an underwater flash unit to charge up the paint patch.

Fish looks up; sees this big shadow; then a lit up patch with a couple small ones there; yummy! If you heard an occassional thud on the hull, you'll know it's working as the fish will be hitting the hull. Once a month check for loose rivets and/or cracked hull.

Where you fish?

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 4 weeks later...
Now that we can't fish in NY anymore, I am starting on a project boat I bought this fall and had an idea. I will be stripping and reprinting the entire boat and was wondering if anybody has painted or ever thought of:

painting "fish" on the bottom/side of their boat to either resemble a baitfish or a school of fish?

I was thinking this could possibly attract a fish or at least get it to look towards you. It could result in more fish being "attracted" to the area you are in or it could be a big waste of time/effort.

I want to try a couple here and there, probably not a school, just 2 or 3 on a side. I was thinking maybe airbrushing them or a simple way would be to cut out a 6-8" oval out of the aluminum foil tape. This could easily be removed if wanted and it would throw off quite a flash for little effort being put into the idea.

So, what are your thoughts on this crazy idea?

I can see your trying to be innovative with your idea, and I understand, but I'd lean more in the direction of attempting to conceal the vessel, rather than draw attention to it.

Do not worry about the ridicule, in regards to your question........as any question is a good question. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...