Allow trained and approved teachers to CCW

carpedium

I am not insensative, Tom. I do believe in proper training and the persons mental competance. These individuals from Conn. and Webster, had a deranged motive. Sick beyond allowing them in(or return) to our society.

I wish a better year to all in 2013! Be it a safe and happy one! Steve...........

• 3 weeks later...
Well Paul, I’m not sure what you would call a “right wing†news agency you trust, but if you’d care to name a few, I’ll gladly look in their archives. (Except for the Teapartynews because they’re blaming fun loving and that everyone should be home schooling their kids anyways) But for now, how about what these guys said:
He then drove to the school in her car with four guns, including a shotgun that was left in the back of the vehicle, and shot up two classrooms around 9:30 a.m., police say. Police added that multiple 30-round magazines and hundreds of bullets were also found at the scene.

The rifle used was a Bushmaster .223-caliber, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation who was not authorized to speak about it and talked on condition of anonymity. The gun is commonly seen at competitions and was the type used in the 2002 sniper killings in the Washington, D.C., area. Also found in the school were two handguns, a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9 mm.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/16/at ... ut-school/

How about Associated Press:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT

How about Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/ ... YT20121216

How about ABCnews? – (left wing – I don’t know)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... ity-clips/

I looked at the BBC archives but they just quote the AP.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey Tom.....what do you make of this?

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 5#50208495

Now they are saying that he had 4 handguns in the school and the rifle and shotgun were left in the car. He also tried to buy a rifle a few days earlier and was denied.

I hate conspiracy theories but I know what I saw on TV and this report confirms that the entire "assault rifle" story was made up to further the gun ban agenda. Makes you wonder what else is being covered up.

Thats the problem with the liberal media, they are their own worst enemy. Instead of getting the facts straight, they run with the stiory that fits their agenda best. In this case, attack the 2nd amendment. Whats really sad is all the new Legislation in ny against guns is based on bad information. The rush to pass something was based on the assault rifle being involved.

People kill people. Fix the people.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I know that this is lost at this point in our great state, but I need to say it anyway.

I am a teacher and there is no way to prevent another tragedy from occuring, but it can be minimized. If anyone wanted to do harm to the students in a school they could gain access. I will use my school as an example.

All of our doors are locked. However, anyone wanting to get in gets buzzed in by a nice lady (unarmed and 110lbs). She then signs them in and directs them to the main office, guidance office, or school nurse. They are not supposed to go anywhere else. If their intention was to do harm they are in and have free reign on inflicting damage to the people within the school. We have a resource officer, but he has also said that he is not a real deterent to someone planning to do harm, because he is spread out over four schools within the district (one high school, one middle school, and two elementary schools) and all someone would have to do to determine if he was in the targeted school would be to look for his sheriff vehicle in the parking lot. If he was there they may have to wait a day. The nice lady at the security desk could choose to not buzz someone in if she saw them brandishing weapons freely outside of the door, but with a shot or two they would have an open window to let themselves in by shooting out the glass on the door. In either scenario; she lets them in or they force their way in, she will not be able to do anything to stop them as the first person that they encounter. If the police officer (School Resource Officer) is not in the building the person will have access to all of the victims they want. There is screened glass next to each door that could be blown or smashed out. The only way to prevent additional deaths of innocent kids would be to have armed teachers. These would not be whoever wants to carry, and would not have the weapon on them at all times. Most teachers are in their rooms 90% of the time. There are multiple lunch periods to accomodate the students and scheduling. We have the technology for biometric safes and guns at this point. A safe in the wall with a gun programmed for the intended user would not intimidate students, would be accessible, and could not be accessed or used by anyone else. Just the idea that there would be resistance may keep some of the crazies from going to a school and hopefully they would just take their own life. At the worst there would be a shooting, but it would never amount to a free pass for the shooter and fewer students would be killed. Teachers undergo a series of background checks and are there for the kids. Are there bad teachers and burned out teachers - of course. However, like I said in the beginning, this would not be for every teacher who wants to participate. They should have to undergo extensive training yearly, a background check yearly, and a psychological evaluation each year.

This is the only way to negate the crazy who thinks or does enter a school. To continue to give them a free pass to do whatever they want to innocent people for reasons that we will never know is unacceptable. We protect our money with guns, merchandise with guns, politicians with guns, but leave our children unprotected - that is unexcusable and sick in so many ways (and most of the time it is to make people feel good rather than face the reality of the situation and that there are in fact bad twisted people out there). If there were armed teachers in China there probably would have been no deaths and if there were armed teachers in Sandy Hook there would have been a lot less. Stop going after the guns and open your eyes. Guns are out there and will forever be and there are crazy and bad people who will find and use them. The only way to make any real movement against the acts of violence is to stop them earlier in the action of carrying out the act and to take off the blinders and get people who are truly unstable the required help they need and if that means institutionalizing people who are incapable of taking their scheduled medications or who are a threat to others because of a demented sense of reality than we must do so.

Just my two cents as a teacher.

Excellent post Morgan. All very good points. Locks on doors are not going to keep whacked out perps from coming in, and locks have to be unlocked at some point to let kids out. Inside or out, the whacko is still the threat.

However unfortunately, if in NY we are going to have a 7 round limit on the magazine, you will be reduced to using a revolver. Seriously outgunned by a perp with the unlawfully aquired 10 round or more autoloader. NY law will and has as we type, effectively made any semi automatic handgun illegal. Yes that is what I said illegal, because you cannot buy one now. It has been banned. The reason is the manufacturer of any autoloader builds 10 round or more handguns now allowed only in 49 other states. Does anyone believe the manufacturer is going to make a specific 7 round magazine just for NY residents? That number wasn't just pulled out of the air. That is why this control is really a ban on handguns in NY.

The unfortunate part is this ban applies only to law abiding citizens, not to sick premeditated plans to harm another innocent human. This has a much larger agenda than protecting our children. Unless the teacher using the handgun is also a sworn police officer the use of a handgun that has semi auto capabilities able to deal with a perp with a banned gun, will be severely handicapped, especially if there are more than one nut job, as in Columbine. The deterring factor is there, but the perp also has the knowledge of the shortcomings of the resistance thanks to the BAN in NY.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

As a teacher in a small inner city high school (800 students)in a large city I have no desire to carry a weapon. I have had a protection carry permit for 25 years, worked as a college security officer for 3 years, have had training in use of force and use of deadly force, but still I do not want to carry in my school.

I do think our building security officers should be armed and upgraded to peace officers.

I also make a point of thanking the BPD officers that visit our school daily.

I would like to see a bullet proof door on the closets in our classrooms I think getting the "targets" out of view would save lives.

Perhaps the most effective measure that could be taken would be the refusal to publish the names or any details of any perp of mass violence. For the CN & Webster shootings the whole scoop on the shooters should have been "lone gunman found dead at the scene". Then the rest of the story could focus on the victims if there need to be any reporting of it at all!