Will we have ice-fishing season at this winter?

Deaf Fisherman

I was wondering with our weather lately. It is kept around 40-50 degree daily while it suppose be under 30 or so. Now, there is no major or big snow yet to come. Will we have ice-fishing season at this winter?

Imput your thought! I'm curious.

I think it will come at very late on December to first week of January. I was kinda hope that would happen! :yes:

I think your right about getting on ice late Dec. (fingers crossed) ;)

Looking at the latest forecast, I am figuring on traveling ta Eel bay soon.

I am more concerned about lake levels right now. Eel bay at best is only 6' deep. Fish should still be there but what about Sandy pond, Braddock or any other shallow bay. We may have ta look for fish in other places.

Check your gear! I think your going ta need it soon!

My hunch is that inthe Finger lakes region it will be mid to late January (if at all) and then probably only the shallower lakes (e.g. Honeoye) but.....I have all my gear ready if I'm wrong! :>)

I have to admit that I'm only PARTIALLY jealous Matt....I can get along without those Plattsburg winters :>) Good luck going after those little green son of a guns :>)

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya Fish Hunter - I went through the ice back in 2004 up to my chin luckily (lucky I'm 6 ft tall and wasn't in my usual spots 15 ft deep too :>) along with my gear etc. Nobody was around (6AM) Canandaigua Lake. The only good point was that my coffee was sealed good and I sat there and drank it before walking back to the car soaking wet before hypothermia had a chance to set in (it was less than 20 degrees).....but alive. I immediately ordered two Arctic Armor (buoyant) suits one for my son and one for me when I got home. After many years of ice fishing (over 50) and assessing all sorts of ice on many lakes and ponds I thought I had it all figured out...but what folks sometimes don't realize is that the SURFACE of the ice and thickness isn't the only significant factor. The ice can be seriously undercut by currents - both wind driven and internal ones. The ice I went out on was several inches thick and I followed another fisherman's tracks out there that day (I had talked with him the day before while he fished that spot). The problem was that during the night water was apparently running in the outlet several hundred yards away and it undercut and basically rotted the ice in that particular spot that had been safe just hours before and it had snow on it and no way to tell that it was bad. I'm relating this here because folks need to be VERY cautious especially at this time of year, and not go out alone, or without being properly prepared. I'm as anxious as anyone on Earth to get out there but you can't be too cautious especially at the beginning and end of the season.

Les

Panfisher.... I probably should emphasize that the suits I bought were the ARCTIC ARMOR ones.....There is also the popular Ice Armor but as far as I know they don't have the same flotation qualities. I also must admit that although I've watched several videos of the Arctic Armor stuff (which I have) in mock situations I have never actually tested it out myself...and hopefully I won't be "forced" to :>) The information has stated that the full suit should be able to hold up (3) 150-200 pound men immersed. I think it set me back about $400 including the shipping for each suit. The suit is the warmest thing I've ever owned (windproof, waterproof, breathable). Best of luck with the fishing (when we get out there :>)

Les

I tested mine in a pool and as long as i grabbed the side to stabilize myself (like your arms would still most likely hit solid ice i was pretty much buoyant buy my waist im pretty sure the bibs is all anyone would need in a ice fishing situation. I feel 100% positive that if i go through i will live to see another day

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I tested mine in a pool and as long as i grabbed the side to stabilize myself (like your arms would still most likely hit solid ice i was pretty much buoyant buy my waist im pretty sure the bibs is all anyone would need in a ice fishing situation. I feel 100% positive that if i go through i will live to see another day

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

1-Be careful if just wearing floating bibs, you'll float upside down.

2-Don't tempt fate, unless you're 100% invincible?