Electric trailer winches???

MarkNY

i need a new power winch for my trailer. any recommendations on brands and models? looking to stay away from the low end models that dont have the power. have a 22' penn yan softop with dry weight of 3800lbs and a roller trailer. thanks, mark

I have used the heavy duty Harbor Freight one as well as the power winch models 912 & 312 -

I dont recommend the HF winch - the heavy duty one does not have a free wheel function and is dog slow!!

The Power winch models both wroked great

However I agree with Tim - getting one with a strap is a really good idea

Thanks guys, those dutton winches look nice. Def want a strap as my current cable winch sucks. Might give that larger model a try. Best, mark ps. Cabelas reviews aren't that great...

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

For better winch operation extend the ground wire connection directly to your battery terminal. Frame connections rust and become weak after a couple years. Solder a length of eight gauge copper to the connections and tape it to the red positive wire.

After thirty years I have parts accumalated from three Power Winches in my garage and it looks like I am buying a new one this spring as they may go on sale soon.

For remote control a string supplied with the winch works well. 712 winch.

I just picked up a Dutton & Lainson Electric trailer winch ( TW9000) and plan to mount it for my Shamrock 246. Wieghs 4,000 pounds dry. add 150 Gal of Diesil fuel annd the ice and fishing stuff and it must come in close to 5,000 pounds.

Added a poly box to the trailer to hold a marine battery to power the which and a wire with diode to keep it charged from the trailer 7 pin lighting plug.

Im on a dual axcel Alum Bunk trailer and am trying to make it slide on and off a bit easier. Added side bunks to kee the boat on straght when the tide is running a current. Problem is the trailer floats when unloaded.

I was thinking of tring to find about 100 soft poly rollerblade wheels to add to add tp the bunks to help it roll.