end of the world cookout

skipper19

well I was able to catch a piece of that asteroid flying by, and threw it in the side fire box on my smoker. low and behold it was at exactly 265 degrees. threw in some lump charcoal and Hickory sticks, and got a nice thin blue smoke going .

the beer can chicken marinated overnight with Dave's roasted chicken rub in a 2.5 gallon zip lock.

Before placing in the bag, the chickens were washed and rubbed with olive oil and generously rubbed with Daves roast chicken rub. After the chicken sat in fridge for a nite, they were placed on cans of beer that had half poured into a moisture pan in the smoke chamber. Then the cans recieved more Daves in with the remained beer. Then the chickens were draped with Bacon and a wad of Bacon stuffed in the top hole to retain beer moisture. 4 hrs into smoke I cover with a foil tent to keep from over browning and check internal temp. I stop adding raw wood after 4 to 5 hours and maintain temp with just lump charcoal already lit in the starter chimney. Read the internal temp and remove at 160 in the breast. This is the moistest chicken you will ever eat. So good I almost cry :lol:

The pork piece in the back is a prime rib center cut. It was prepaired with rub made from a source on the internet, and it is very good. Memphis Dust.

Olive oiled the pork and sprinkled the rub on and let the sugars melt into the surface along with the spices. I apply enough to begin seeing the rub not melting and stop there. Fridged it for a nite and placed it rib side down on the rack. Smoke the pork to 175 and remove.

Temps range between 240 to 300 in the smoke chamber on this day. Windy and about 30 deg...I put rubber mats on the smoker lid to help insulate it. I'll post the recipe for the Memphis Dust on here in a bit.

Started at 10:00 ended chicken 165 at 3 pm.

Pork at 175 around 3:30 pm

IMAG1503.jpg

image ru

IMAG1505.jpg

online photo sharing

Memphis Dust Recipe Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid. Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 years later...