Starting point for Trout and Salmon

It really depends. Without having a topography map in hand I can tell you what to look for. In the spring fish will be in the shallows feeding. Don't know if this is too far for you but we have killed the browns on the lake side of the isthmus near Chaumont bay. Towards the summer I usually Dinah the trench outside of Henderson harbor. The best thing you could do is get a topo map and find some nice drop offs. I heard a lot of people catching fish in the shipping channel.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

My boat is located in Cape Vincent for the summer. I have short access to Lake Ontario. If I wanted to get out into the lake to troll for trout and salmon where would be a good starting point in terms of a landmark, island or GPS point?

Dennis

Bill Saiff operates out of that area and publishes a newsletter which you can glean the info that you seek.

http://www.billsaiffoutdoors.com/nl08.htm

My boat is located in Cape Vincent for the summer. I have short access to Lake Ontario. If I wanted to get out into the lake to troll for trout and salmon where would be a good starting point in terms of a landmark, island or GPS point?

Dennis

Bill Saiff operates out of that area and publishes a newsletter which you can glean the info that you seek.

http://www.billsaiffoutdoors.com/nl08.htm

Thanks for that.

Dennis

This spring browns were loaded up around the bays (black river bay especially) more so than I have seen before. On a typical year we start around stony creek in april. We tend to catch back up with the salmon in the summer after the walleyes leave the bays, usually out in front of sandy pond area... that's my routine anyhow

• 5 weeks later...

Sandy pond is a drive from chaumont bay area. But black river bay always has good fish. If you wanted to go out of mud bay you should be able to hook up with some browns in the spring.

My Uncle and cousin most often fished around Galoo Island in the summer for trout and salmon, and years ago out around Main Duck(Canadian Waters), and the shipping lanes. They live right on Bedford Corners Rd, and we would put the boat in a Pond's Marina(I think it's closed now), or put in at the launch on Pt. Peninsula. It was a long run, and would be from anywhere around there, but we did it in an old Starcraft Islander. Just burns a lot of gas, and you need gaurenteed good lake conditions.

Just food for thought.

My Uncle and cousin most often fished around Galoo Island in the summer for trout and salmon, and years ago out around Main Duck(Canadian Waters), and the shipping lanes. They live right on Bedford Corners Rd, and we would put the boat in a Pond's Marina(I think it's closed now), or put in at the launch on Pt. Peninsula. It was a long run, and would be from anywhere around there, but we did it in an old Starcraft Islander. Just burns a lot of gas, and you need gaurenteed good lake conditions.

Just food for thought.

I normally make the run from Long point to Henderson trench between Henderson Bay and Stony Island (I think the area you are referring to) on my 23' proline. I haven't had a problem with lake conditions over there because it is sheltered from the north and northwest pretty good. The only part that can get rough is the open area from the mouth of chaumont bay to Stony Island. If there is heavy wind from the Southwest and Dead North there is no way to get out in the trench unless you like to get bounced around.

The king in my avatar was caught at the Henderson Trench.

On a side note there used to be awesome smallie fishing around galoo and little stony.