Finger Lakes Meeting

With all the responses on the “Western Finger Lakes†post, I decided to get the ball rolling on a “State of the Finger Lakes†meeting. I think it is important for all of us to get on the same page with issues confronting the lakes and tribs. If there is enough interest, I will continue to work on this after the holidays. I have already contacted the presidents of the State Fish Wildlife Management Board (FWMB) and the New York State Conservation Council (NYSCC), and they are on board with this. We have sportsman’s representatives from each region on these groups. I have also made preliminary contacts with DEC. This would involve both Region 7 and 8.

This meeting would allow for the dissemination of information that is vital for both DEC and the sportsmen. Although there are some unique issues on the lakes and tribs, there are far too many similarities. There also seems to be a lack of communication or a necessity to get answers without knowing where to get them, or quell a rumor etc. We will also be able to create contacts and meet our representatives from DEC as well as the FWMB and NYSCC.

I will look to DEC to put out press releases and also the regional forums to get the word out. We would like to do this sometime in March probably. The thing is, we need to attend in large number, to show we are serious about getting the lakes and tribs back to what they once were. If interested, I will continue the quest and report when we get something concrete.

I support what you're doing and would love to make the tribe c&r for a season or two or even all year... Or even shut it down. I would like to attend a meeting. Have you contacted our local trout unlimited?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Great job flyrod2. I'm excited and look forward to it as well as meeting up with the guys from this forum in person. Thanks for your efforts.....tthe fish gods will reward you with 72 virgin trout someday :>)

Les

Great job flyrod2. I'm excited and look forward to it as well as meeting up with the guys from this forum in person. Thanks for your efforts.....tthe fish gods will reward you with 72 virgin trout someday :>)

Les

72?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Currently there is a potential for 2 meetings in region 7, (north/south). and nothing from R8 so far. We are working on R8 FWMB to put pressure on DEC to have a meeting this year that would encompass the whole Finger Lakes. We feel this is important to have all on board. Regardless R7 DEC is very enthused about having this type of forum meeting. Will keep you posted.

A good friend of mine is pres of lotac ( lake ontairio trib association council). He introduced me to Cayuga tribs and considers them his home streams. Lotac does great work up north and out on niagra doing cleanups and other stuff I'm sure he would love to participate in anyway possible to make are tribs better

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Great start!! I will attend as long as I am available. I am pleased to hear that region 7 is so enthusiastic. I am involved in a couple of youth groups and am the head of 1, if there is an effort to do a stream cleaning or other volunteering efforts I can see if I can get some of the dads and kids involved.

There will be 2 meetings within couple days(weekdays) of each for the Eastern Finger Lakes/Tribs in mid-March. One North end one South end to accomodate without lots of travel. Should have difinite dates, times places in next couple weeks. Will be after the State of Ontario meeting. DEC will put out press releases, newspapers etc, and I will post a new thread here. Still looking to get R8 on board with this as well, will keep posted on that.