West end pro ams

At the last Niagara County Fishery Advisory board meeting in early Dec it was stated that the Niagara and Orleans County Pro-Ams are a go in the exact same weekend slots as last year. First weekend in June is Niagara, second weekend in June is Orleans. No other info concerning formats, rules, ect, was available.

Not to be a killjoy here but they are NOT confirmed. Although the dates have been set there has been NO communication whatsoever between Directors and nothing has been done to ensure the tournaments go on as scheduled. We are scheduling a meeting for the Orleans tournament in the next month to hopefully at least get Orleans on line. A LOT of work has to be done for either event to happen at this point.

Yes, it would be "Rock Bottom" to lose the one that started it all here on Lake Ontario. When it was imported to Niagara County from Lake Michigan, it was 2 days, no cull, and TWENTY fish for Pros. It was wildly successful in Lake Michigan and then again in Niagara County when run by Lowrance electronics with help from local counties.

I'm just going to reiterate, I was at a meeting with gentlemen in attendance from BOTH Niagara and Orleans Counties. The meeting was a Fishery Advisory board meeting, but it was stated that it was their full intention to have those 2 events. Both areas feel these events are critical to their economies. So unless there has been a change of heart and they are keeping it a secret, the events will be held. As for the size of the events that depends on the help in the local areas that comes forth. The Orleans Tourism rep at the meeting said he's actively looking for help.

Hi Eddie, it looks like the Sodus Pt area is committed to continuing the tradition on the same weekend this year. They are conducting a poll and seem to have a group in that area working on it. I have heard some whispers out of O town but nothing concrete yet.

Tournaments are very popular amongst my clients as well, and I understand your frustration in trying to plan. See you in the Spring.

This thread has come as a shock to me, I was under the impression that the west end pro Ams were a go all along. I hope they pull it together....I was planning on fishing both west end events.

Always has to be some sort of drama with the Pro Ams.... :(

As for the WEST end Pro-Ams, they are ON. It's business as usual. The Niagara will be held June 1st and 2nd, Orleans County June 8th and 9th. I contacted county employees from both Niagara and Orleans and they confirmed this.

If you enjoyed the way those two were formatted, it sounded like it will be the same for you this season, but no other details were available.

As for the WEST end Pro-Ams, they are ON. It's business as usual. The Niagara will be held June 1st and 2nd, Orleans County June 8th and 9th. I contacted county employees from both Niagara and Orleans and they confirmed this.

If you enjoyed the way those two were formatted, it sounded like it will be the same for you this season, but no other details were available.

Vince, am I reading you right. The format is the same as this past year with no AM division.

Thanks Vince, that is good to hear about the west end being a go. I am not going to say I like the format of last year, but I like it better than nothing at all so you won't hear any complaints from me.....I just like to fish :) Whatever format...I am ready to go :yes:

Dodger, we are all in the same boat, trying to figure out the schedule and such. I was unable to obtain any other details other than to confirm the dates and that they are a "go". The vibe I got was both areas were pleased with their respective events so I wouldn't expect any changes there.

Rod, we are bracing ourselves for the status quo down west here, and looking forward to change in Sodus and Oswego. Thats all I know.

If you keep the same format as last year, with no Amature Division, you will still be missing most of the Amature teams that sat on the sidelines last year because they didn't like the format. Wake up

I'm not sure you directed this at Vince but he is not on the Committee or one of the "decision makers". The rules currently in place for the Tournaments were set forth by a "Super Committee" after recieving input from some long time particpants.

If you want changes your requests should be directed at those in charge.

Thanks Vince, for finally getting a straight answer. Now, hopefully, some work can be done.

For the record, I don't care for the new format either. However, I'm fishing them anyway because I love to fish tournaments.

and for the record i say let them all end. the recreational fisherman have been nothing but screwed by all these tournaments. i don't believe the fishery was started to be this devisive and commercialized. everyone is into their own agenda and mostly for their own profit or selfish gain.when these things end is when we will see 40 lb'ers caught again.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Over the last couple years while on the lake when no derby or tournament was going on, I have muttered to myself, "it's become a competition fishery." Nary a soul to be seen some days when no event is going on. Sure it's nice to have the room and solitude, but I'm all too aware without "angler hours/angler days", this is no justification for the fishery. The competitions are hugely important to the economies on both the South and North shores.

BTW, for the record, the original "year 2000 plan" document included in plain english that bolstering the south shore economy was one of the missions of the Salmonoid stocking program.

All exciting, viable fisheries have competitions. The Great Lakes have just followed suit behind Saltwater, and Bass fishing. Sure there can be an ugly side ANYWHERE humans are involved. One things for sure, this fishery and even some of the exciting competitive events have been introduced to young people who may have gone astray without this pursuit and all the quality individuals associated with them.

If you keep the same format as last year, with no Amature Division, you will still be missing most of the Amature teams that sat on the sidelines last year because they didn't like the format. Wake up

I know Vince and Vince knows me and I have nothing but the higest respect for him. My comment was directed toward this mysterious super committee that seems to have their own agenda to what end I do not know.