"CALLING RALPH"

LongLine

Here’s an interesting article from the west coast by LeeRoy Wisener on preventing your fishing buddies from leaning overboard and "calling Ralph" i.e. sea sickness cures/prevention.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/Fishing%20Inf ... kness.html

Some say a screaming drag will do the trick but the only guaranteed cure that I ever found for friends was to have them hug the biggest tree they could find. ;)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I've been using Relief Bands for 4 years now fishing, cruise ships and airplanes. I have an unstable inner ear and suffer from Tinnitus and vertigo, and have never gotten sick since using this product. The FDA says this is the only product available that will stop sea sickness after in already starts. If I ran a charter, I would have at least a couple on board.........Jim S.

http://www.mytackle.net/relief%20bands.htm

Tom: The guy pretty much covered it all. Very informative article. Especially his sense of humor and the truth:

One last thing, if you have to puke, DO NOT GO INTO THE HEAD, it is a confined place. Locking yourself in the head with your own puke stink is bad enough, but further messing up your equilibrium by taking the horizon out of your site is just going to make you sicker. Do it over the DOWNWIND side of the boat, for obvious reasons. For those of you who are landlubbers, downwind, is the side of the boat that the wind IS NOT blowing on. If you heave into the wind, you will then probably want to change your clothes soon. If you miss over the side, offer to clean it up soon. Don't worry about your companions, as they will either be there with you or be hauling in the fish.

On the lighter side .... The best sea sickness cure for a fisherman is a screaming reel drag. The problem here is that it is only temporary and usually ends shortly after the fish hits the fish box.

1st thing I tell my client's or anyone turning green is Stay Out Of the Cabin & head.

Jim: I haven't seen that product. But I have the older style wrist bands on the boat if anyone needs them and they seem to do a good job for some of my guy's that are prone to getting sick. On another note as he said if your using Dramamine I tell them to start taking it the night before. Getting up in the morning eat breakfast take one or 2 with your coffee just before they get on the boat. Doesn't cut it.

I am one who is prone to this illness and know the sad feeling of nothing beats getting back to soild ground when you do become ill. As it was stated not everything works for everyone. I am one that Dramamine doesn't work for bu the Bonine does.

Also a tip I found works when you do have to "heave to" :$ is do it standing up into a container of some kind and not bending over the side o fthe boat. It helps settle the stomach quicker.

Clarke

I always keep ginger ale in the cooler, ginger snaps for a snack, no problems on the boat for anyone who wants them. I've also used the wrist bands when I used to go out cod fishing off Point Judith. They DO work also. ;)

Keeping your head up and looking back at land or at the horizon is what I have always done. When I was a mate back in high school I never got sick.(that I can remember). Every time I saw someone looking down (reading ,tying shoes, etc. if they were prone to sea sickness they usually saw the bucket. Just my advice. -Mick

My stomach is pretty good in the rollers, however the captain has had issues. We got out in some pretty bumpy stuff last year in the 19ft. We tried the ginger snaps last year and they seemed to help. Dramamine just makes me feel crappy.

ffm

I take the Dramamine a day before I head out so it's in my system when I hit the water the next day and that seams to help ALLOT.Just started doing that last year.I used to take it the morning of the start of the trip but doing it the day before works really well It seams the older I get the more I depend on the Dramamine(To much Partying in my yonger years :roll: too many lost brain cells ;) ).As was stated before the ginger snaps work well also.