Jaw Jacker

Yankee Troller

They are a remake/offshoot of the original Automatic Fisherman. The concept is the same, but the main difference is that they are more compact with the moving arms. We use the Automatic Fishermen and they are built like tanks withstanding the harshest of conditions. Not sure if the Jaw Jackers will hold up the same with smaller pieces, hinges, etc., as we have never tried or seen the Jaw Jackers in person.

Either way, we have found this type of unit out-fishes a standard tip-up 10 to 1 when going for pike/walleye/etc. especially in shallow, weedy, or obstucted waterways, as the fish doesn't have time to run and get caught up on debris or feel any tension on the line from weeds and drop the bait - it's hooked right away and then it's GAME ON!! 8) We originally thought the hook-set would pull the hook out of the bait and the hook-up rate would be low, but we have found justthe opposite: about a 95% hook-up rate!!

The only times these units are not ideal is in deep snow conditions where you wouldn't be able to see the rod release or if you have a very large spread where they would be set too far away to see the rod release, otherwise these are dynamite!! 8)

Likewise, I have a pair of wooden automatic fishermen that are excellent for pike, but a pain in the butt to carry. I haven't used them too much...most of what I do is bass and walleye anymore, and they're overkill, but the few times I've had them out for pike they've been the bomb. They use a full size, 5 1/2 ft rod, and they have a "clapper" that bangs on itself and makes a great, godawful bloody racket when they trigger so you can hear the thing go off even in deep snow.