ICE REPORTS (All Lakes)

scramp

I spoke to a guy yesterday and he said that the ice on Loon is messed up with a whole bunch of slush ice on it....hard to understand the slush part with the current temps but that is what he said....must have meant refrozen slush.

Fished Silver yesterday on the North end 3" of ice, top 2" were white and brittle.2 or 3 hits with the spud and clean threw.When I came in edges were sinking and were very slushy from all the wind. Todays sun.temps and wind didn't make it any better I am sure.No one fishing the North end this after noon.Few people off the launch in close on the south end.I have not fished out of there but I am sure it is sketchy at best.Ice from the YMCA camp on the west side north to the golf coarse has only been froze for 2 or 3 days.Use extreme caution if venturing out.

A little weather info for today. The coldest part of the winter occurs during the period from Jan. 20th, to Feb. 5th. Statistically, beginning Feb.6th, the days become warmer until July 24th, when the cooling trend begins. With the heavy snows, and projected warm up in the future, a hard freeze up, is not real likely. None the less, we still should have solid ice in some areas.

My son and I fished it all day yesterday and there was about 3 1/2 inches of ice with the top 1 1/2 inch cloudy ice but hard and another 2 inches or so of hard dark ice covered with light snow. We jigged the whole time and only caught dink bluegills and a single dink perch I saw one largemouth caught on a tip up (used minnow) next to us but that was it. We had a lot of "lookers" on the Vexilar but they looked like dinks too. We fished mostly the west side at south end across from launch ramp. My son lives on the east side and he said there was open water a couple days before a few hundred yards north of the launch ramp but there were a couple idiots about 600 yards north off us and it couldn't have been more than 2 inches of ice there...unreal! We hope to get after the "eyes" monday if the weather cooperates. Supposed to be pretty high winds tomorrow....

Fished Silver yesterday afternoon and this morning.Ice is holding for now.Fished the north end 3-4 inches of ice.Slow steady pick of Perch in 22-32' up to 9.5". Did about 30 before one this afternoon,Not real big but it beats cabin fever.Over 50 guys on the south end. Handful of guys on North end.Mid lake is unsafe.