Need help... Outboard choice?

I'm repowering my sea nymph 19.5 and came across a 97 115hp merc reasonably priced with a new lower unit and then saw a 04' 125hp merc for the same price but was used in saltwater. The newer motor seems nice but saltwater? Makes me iffy, but compressions great, any advice?

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Check if the salt water o/b has anodes and what state they are in and check if you can loosen up bolts on the block and whether there is white powdery stuff around the bolts. If things loosen up easily and there is no evidence of electrolysis/corrosion (if fresh and salt water look the same) you should be alright on both. Ask to see the driveshaft on the salt water o/b and check for pock marks . If everything looks good ,go for the engine you like best and don't worry about salt.

If it were me I'd opt for the 97 motor if the visible conditon is good. The difference in hp to speed will be negligible at top end. Salt water can do a lot of internal damage (i.e. corrosion) that may be unseen if it hadn't been thoroughly washed out with fresh water after use.

I appreciate the advice. I only have photos and won't be able to inspect the 125hp salty(would be shipped from florida) I think I'm going to stick with the 115. Thanks guys! Sometimes I need a second opinion before shooting the neighbors dog lol.

Stay away from Saltwater motors in my opinion....The thing to consider is the amount of hours on the motors. Saltwater boaters have more time to use their boats than us northern folk and they also tend to run more miles to destinations than we do. If you look on Craigslist near the coastal cities it looks like a graveyard for what I would consider very new outboards. They are tough on them.

TD

Stay away from that salt water motor! I bought a boat 2 years ago that the guy said he only usde it a few time in the salt water, it looked great from the outside,but internally it was a complete throw away, the only thing I was able to use was the block, which I had acid cooked and bored 30ths. over and the rods,crank and cam shaft, all new risers heat exchangers intake, water pump, on & on $1800.00 later with me doing all the work it finally doesn't overheat!! Not to mention I lost all last season due to buying a hand gerenade! Stick with a freah water motor only. PAP :no:

Get a compression check, if I remember correctly it should be in the 135 range on all cylinders. NOT 100% sure though. Also run water through it. Best to take it to a shop, get compression, water temperature and a dyno. Probably get it done for 100 bucks.

If you're looking on ebay, or other places on the internet, I'd contact Hank 1st

I'd rather have a salt that's been taken care of like G-Daddy than a fresh that hasn't been maintained.

I also bought a motor that was in salt water. a 225 Merc Verado. I've had it 3 years and no problems. Looks like new. Not only did it come from salt, it was moored in salt. It all depends how how well it was taken care of.

Total Chaos

To heck with the salt, I had a 125 Merc a few years older than that('01). That was by far the worst motor I have ever seen. It shut down two cylinders below 1500rpm, would constantly stall at idle. Was a dog getting on plane(on an 18'). Had it serviced and the Merc dealer stated it was running fine. The only thing they should be used for is an anchor.