Finally..back on the Susky!

Sluggo / NY

The launch was clear and most of the ice is gone.. so it seemed like a good day to hit the river. It took a while to find them, but I managed to get a limit of nice eater size walleyes.. the last one came on my last drift just before dark. I don't know where the big girls are hiding.. but maybe I can figure it out tomorrow. A couple of fatheads on an 1/8 oz. jig dirfted slowly was what worked for me. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fishing around Murphy's Island Chris? I was pounding them down there. Was hoping this last high water was going to push the ice out but I don't think it did. My buddy got a 31 incher right around that time, no big ones for me.

Yep.. I generally fish Murphy's. I was also hoping the ice would move out, but it doesn't look good. I just took a ride down to check it out. Lots of ice flowing and still solid ice above and below the island on the Vestal side. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

• 2 weeks later...

Got back out this past Friday after being iced off for a spell. Wind was brutal til about 4 but the temp made it bareable. No big fish, but kept five nice eaters. Five other boats out there.. one guy dropped a big female back in. Not hardly fast and furious, but it sure felt good to get back on the water! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Did the afternoon session yesterday. Aside from the rain and snow, it wasn't too bad out there. Not an awful lot of open water and lots of ice flowing. I didn't fare well.. only three fish caught, but they were all decent. Three guys in a boat fifty yards away sat there and gave me a lesson. They were getting doubles and even triples while I sat there drowning minnows! Right place at the right time I guess. Couple cold days and then a bit warmer. Maybe by the weekend... Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pounding it hard lately. Limits most days, but the past few days were tough.. freakin' wind! I did get limits, but it was work! There were whitecaps on the river yesterday! I'll be out there tomorrow, but my weekend is screwed up.. out of town company.. last weekend of walleye? They should know better! Oh well.. six weeks coming up to get my chores done.. then back to walleye fishing. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Do you need a boat launch permit for the Susky?

Dave.. No permit required, boat just needs to be legally registered and have all the normal safety stuff. Oh.. in NY you have to actually wear a life jacket until I believe May? I wear the inflatable suspenders.. hardly notice they're on. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Dave.. No permit required, boat just needs to be legally registered and have all the normal safety stuff. Oh.. in NY you have to actually wear a life jacket until I believe May? I wear the inflatable suspenders.. hardly notice they're on. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Thanks Chris.