I am really considering purchasing a autopilot before the upcoming season!! :o The price just scares me to be honest! So my ? is what is the best unit i can get for the least amount $$. Is it worth trying to find one used? Does the size of the boat matter what unit can be used? Are they a royal pain to install? Im not going to ask if they are worth the money because I already know that they def are! Any info would greatly help me make a final decision!! Thanks Alot

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

I just received my Raymarine S1000 for $980.

I researched for a while just as you are and finally spoke to two guys that have them and with no problem.

The one owner actually installed his along with two other owners and none of them have any issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the S1000 is not as fancy and quiet as the Garmin but all I need it for it to stay on track while trolling and not running. As far as I'm concerned, you should never be away from the helm when running.

I just received my raymarine x-10 and it looks great in the box!

BTW: $2400 and has great reviews. Mine is for hydro steer, so if you have mechanical you will pay less most the time.

Do yourself a favor and give Tommy a call and he"ll tell ya whats good for your boat.

I ordered mine from Digital Oasis and it came in 3 days. The lady even called me to confirm my credit card number.

You don't see that anymore ! My son has also purchased through them.

My Boat is a 2006 and has Seastar hydraulic steering and the S1000 is for hyd steering. NMEA, ect...

You get everything including the wrenches, extra fluid, connectors, CD instructions , ties, ect....

I have not installed it yet so I'll find out how things will go but it appears straight forward.

I do plan on constructing a foam/insulated box for around the pump and keep it on stand-by in case I need it to reduce the noise that is might give off.

I did look at the Garmins and know they have a really nice unit but might be more that what I need.

matt they are rated a lot on size of boat and how much they are going to be used.

Like my unit has held up good for me i dont remember what model it is now and you know the issues we have had with it in the high wind lol

I know my uncle has gone through a lot of different ones and has spent a TON of money with the computers crapping out on him ( granted he uses his over a 100 days a year on the trojan) but the point is is that the computers are designed for certain usage.

but ur boat and how much you guys are going out u should be able to get away with a rather descent priced unit and have it work good on your boat.

and spending a little more for a quality one with make fishing much nicer when it works and is not breaking on you during the summer, just to save a few bucks now!

Do yourself a favor and call Kevin Jerge at the Wilson Boat Yard. He lives in Binghamton, NY, so don't think if your not on the West end of the lake he's not an option. He installs a lot of autopilots. Mostly Raymarine, but he does have a cheaper option in Si-Tex if you are trying to save a little.

I have a new sport pilot installed from Anchor marine in Erie PA. This is the second unit i have owned, Firsh one on a four winns and this just installed on a 2600 striper, Unit installed cost about $3000.00 , only think is they are noisey while operating. I cant fish without one and my wife likes it also.

This is for a cable steer and mounted on the helm, boat wt. under 7000#

Thanks guys! 3,000 grand is def a little out of my price range i was hopeing for more like 1,000 for a decent unit. I mean i could probably pay a Hot little chick to wear a bikini and drive the boat for $3,000 a season and probably have her get my :beer: for me to!!!!

Thanks guys! 3,000 grand is def a little out of my price range i was hopeing for more like 1,000 for a decent unit. I mean i could probably pay a Hot little chick to wear a bikini and drive the boat for $3,000 a season and probably have her get my :beer: for me to!!!!

Ill take one too!

• 2 weeks later...