broderick park/bird island pier perch

pjbeod

I went out with some shiners at night and couldn't get a single bite. I've never tried for perch at night and don't really know if their active during dark hours. anyone have any tips on getting perch at night? Is it worth it at all or should i stick to going during daylight hours? any help is appreciated thanks

River currents are high along the breakwall and ferry slip. Try for perch on Squaw Island, over the railroad bridge and below the Black Rock Lock. Also the Ontario Street Acccess parking lot has a lot less current. Marinas also have less current, Grand Island and all the way down to Tonawandas. Night fishing for perch works when you have a lantern to light up the water.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the area you are fishing but If you are ONLY fishing for perch I would be using FATHEAD MINNOWS instead of shiners. While LARGE perch may take a shiner or two they are better suited for bass and pike/pickerel. Perch will much more readily take fatheads in most places and they are usually cheaper too :o . Although perch will often hit at any time of day they USUALLY are most readily caught in the early AM or just BEFORE dark. Walleyes on the other hand are most frequently caught at night (most of the season anyway) Good luck!

Les

New York's baitfish regulations do not allow for Great Lakes emerald shiners to be used on areas like trout streams and the Finger Lakes. They must have to have been certified VHS free and you have to carry a ten day valid receipt from the shop where you purchased them.