Thompson Boats comeback?

Misty IV

I remember seeing an ad in a fishing magazine, probably at least a year ago, about Thompson Boats coming back. An existing boat manufacturer purchased everything from Thompson and was going to begin building the line again. The particular ad I saw showed the 24' hardtop on a trailer, 350 MerCruiser, and factory rigged with downriggers and electronics. Does anyone know which manufacturer owns Thompson now and is building the line again? I know Thompson went out of business years ago, so it was nice to see someone bringing the brand back. I did an online search and cannot locate anything.

I'm not replacing my Islander, sorry. Just looking for more information.

The brand was resurrected by Yar Craft which was a originally a spin off of Thompson back in the late 60's. Yar Craft made fiberglass walleye boats for the most part.

Yar Craft got sold last year to a boat company down south and the Thompson line died again with the sale.

From what I heard from a guy I know that was affiliated with them and owned one of the new ones, his was one of only 2 ever produced.

Tim

Thanks, that was the name I remember seeing now. Shame the Thompson name died again.

Tim, your friend is one lucky individual. The boat was a sweet looking ride from the ad I saw. I think I read that they were 100% fiberglass, as well - no wood anywhere on the boat.

Inboard and inboard outdrive engines are priced out of the market today since the EPA guys mandated catalytic converters on boating gasoline engines. The price of a water cooled catalytic converter is supposed to be in the $5,000 range so what you get today are outboards as you see on the Coast Guard and Homeland Security boats. Triple 300 HP outboards are commonly seen now. When you go to a Boat Show this winter look around and see what is new.

WOW, that boat is sweet looking, I can't imagin what the $$$ are to buy one, maybe if I hit the lottery!! for now I will have to stick with my 83 SeaRay, it still works good. :yes: