Fish on!! Rituals/Superstition

Chas0218

It seems a little slow around here and figured it would be fun to start a thread about what superstition stuff you guys do when you get a fish on.

We have a few on our boat its mostly just to pass blame from the angler fighting the fish to the unsuspecting bystander.

1) Don't yell "GRAB THE NET" when the fish hits the pole. It seems like every time someone yells grab the net the fish comes off shortly after.

2) Don't "Get the net ready" or "in place" we always seem to have the net set so at a moments notice it is within reach and we either have a slow day until it is laying along side the cuddy or wrapped up in a cleat. We leave it in the holder until we get the fish within 50' on the line counter.

3) We always seem to loose the fish when someone says "Thats a nice fish" pop line goes slack.

These scenarios aren't always true but they are always the ones we remember.

Lets hear the others!

We always put the net in the fully extended position while fishing-for luck. Some time in the past we extended it and got a hit. On slow days we dip the net in the water for luck. Amazing how many times we have dipped the net and then had a rod go off shortly after.

This should be a very interesting thread.

Although this is not related to fish on, whenever the fishing gets slow:

A) We like to spray water all over the fishing poles and the riggers. Sometimes, this has trigger insane bites.

B) One of my fishing buddies would light up a cigar and then the screen on the fish finder would literally become lit up with several streaking arcs!

C) I would start to interrogate my fishing buddies to be sure they did not bring bananas on board. I can attest to a true occasion when we were chartering with Yankee Troller. We were hunting for steelies and there were no bite during that time. I asked around my fishing buddies to find out if they had brought a banana on board. When I found my friend had indeed brought a banana on board, I immediately raided his cooler and threw away the banana. Guess what, that guy who lost his banana was already on the deck fighting the fish and landed the biggest steelie and won the biggest fish pool from our group. A bite came after another and we had a stellar day. Go figure!

My net dosn't go up in the rod holder until we get a fish on/boxed. Then we proudly fly it like a flag. LOL...Its also a little tell tale between friends that we landed fish, rather than blaring it over the radio on derby days.

Cheers...Jake

Well umh, I AM NOT SUPERSTITIOUS, but when I am in my own boat, I first bless the water with some of my own but if that does not work I pour a libation of either beer, coffee or whatever else I happen to be drinking. Beyond that,if things still don't work I start telling myself how beautiful a day it is, the planer boards go out with 2 lines on each side and the copper follows down the hole. At this point I have way too many lines to properly care for and whatever hits usually tangles up everything else.

When fishing with my team,we have a very serious ritual involving washing our hands in a very secret blessed substance and during tournaments we add a ritual that is very secret but it includes a Hail Mary or two.

Does it help? Why else would we do it?

My friends and I have a battle cry that we have used for years. When you have just landed a big one, or have had a really awesome day, you yell, "TROUTENHOSEN!!" It is said with a german accent and a rolling "R". It's a little hard to explain how i came up with that word. It was about the time that "Fahrfeignugen" was all over the TV and radio in Volkswagen's ads. And to "hose" the trout is to catch a great deal in one session. It caught on, and is a fun thing to bellow. We leave it on each other's answering machines so we know that a good fishing report is to follow. It can be a greeting and a parting word. Or it can be real primal, like the time my buddy Moose landed a three pound Broadback River brook trout and double fist pumped while yelling "Troutenhosen!" above the boreal treetops.

As rituals go, it has served us well.

I can attest to a true occasion when we were chartering with Yankee Troller. We were hunting for steelies and there were no bite during that time. I asked around my fishing buddies to find out if they had brought a banana on board. When I found my friend had indeed brought a banana on board, I immediately raided his cooler and threw away the banana. Guess what, that guy who lost his banana was already on the deck fighting the fish and landed the biggest steelie and won the biggest fish pool from our group. A bite came after another and we had a stellar day. Go figure!

That was funny!

The Banana is a defenite NO ON-BOARD. 2 years ago out of Fair Haven its was an absolute blood bath for Browns for everyone except us. when the guy I brought aboard decided to eat breakfast, he opens his cooler and out comes a Banana, I yelled at him to throw it overboard and he just looked at me like I was crazy. i then took his banana tossed it over and proceeded to empty his cooloer just in case there was any more. Within minutes we had fish flying. He still thought I was crazy, so i got on the radio and asked the question and he proceeded to get a mouthful from everyone (in a nice way of course). He learned his lesson and now when he goes fishing with me he even changes his underwear before he goes if they are froot of a loom because they have a Banana on them. - :rofl:

Steering a course to troll by a brightly colored object floating in the distance. Somehow it's got the motherload of fish under it, and is especialy good if it is a mylar balloon saying "I love you" on it.

Once it turned out to be Ray, in a kayak, wearing nuttin but a knitted brightly colored Jamaican beanie, and he said "I love you man"...and he had all the fish :dull:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Steering a course to troll by a brightly colored object floating in the distance. Somehow it's got the motherload of fish under it, and is especialy good if it is a mylar balloon saying "I love you" on it.

Once it turned out to be Ray, in a kayak, wearing nuttin but a knitted brightly colored Jamaican beanie, and he said "I love you man"...and he had all the fish :dull:

haha :rofl:

The Banana is a defenite NO ON-BOARD. 2 years ago out of Fair Haven its was an absolute blood bath for Browns for everyone except us. when the guy I brought aboard decided to eat breakfast, he opens his cooler and out comes a Banana, I yelled at him to throw it overboard and he just looked at me like I was crazy. i then took his banana tossed it over and proceeded to empty his cooloer just in case there was any more. Within minutes we had fish flying. He still thought I was crazy, so i got on the radio and asked the question and he proceeded to get a mouthful from everyone (in a nice way of course). He learned his lesson and now when he goes fishing with me he even changes his underwear before he goes if they are froot of a loom because they have a Banana on them. - :rofl:

Never thought about that fruit of the loom! :rofl:

The same goes for banana muffins which are on my list of banned substances :devil:

Don't tie the red heart shaped ballon to the radio ant. The Coastguard comes with the chopper to check on you :$

My uncle thought it would be funny to buy one of the fish off! stickers from fat nancys, we went out three weekends in a row and only got one fish. This was at the end of the 2011 season after we caught fish all year. Our first trip and my only for this year I ripped the sticker off the cooler and we caught 14 salmon in one day.