New NYS gun legislation????????

Legacy

To all who wanted to ban the Bushmaster & similar......... I TOLD YOU SO. Get ready for more.

Rest assured you are no more safe today as tomorrow, and probably less. Watched some of the state Senate debate on TV and could not believe the stupidity I was hearing from some. No wonder the state is a mess.

Looks like the constitution as written by our founders is no longer reliveant. They must be rolling in their graves.

What did Don Mclean sing?

Truly a sad day. Another reason to leave the state. To bad the fishing is so good here.

I WIL NOT vote for an incumbant who did not stand against this again. May change my registration to Liberitarian as the Repubs have sold out.

Isn't it interesting that these are the same jamokes that can't pass a budget on time or enact meaningful legislation other than "State Pickle Day" and yet in a couple days vote, pass and have signed legislation this important and all without the ability of the public to comment on it or be a part of it....great day for democracy... so glad I served in the military representing New York State. The Founding Fathers would be beside themselves if they were witnessing what is happening to our country.

I cant wait to see how much more unemployment will go up from these proposed new gun laws. Way to hurt the economy even more. we are in a huge downward spiral and have yet to hit rock bottom. We have to be close.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The new classification is what's killing me under the new determination of what a assault weapon is thru s1422-2013. It states things like a muzzle break defined as a device that stops muzzle climb. So is a kicks choke tube illeagle now. Or any semi auto shotgun with a pistol grip. Turkey hunters are using assault rifles or the fact that my savage mark 2 target gun has a threaded barrel so I can change weights and balance the gun is now illeagle. I'm curious to see how many of these new regulations will truly affect us HUNTERS.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Craziness all around from this new legislation!!! I'm speechless and confused on all of this.

Flybuster, if I'm reading the law correctly (and I've read it 10 times and I'm still confused), but I would say that any gun you currently own would be grandfathered in but have to be registered if it:

Has a detachable magazine, is semi-automatic AND has "one of Assault Rifle features" such as a muzzle brake (I would consider a ported/vented choke tube like my Carlson's a muzzle brake), pistol grip, bayonet, collapsible stock etc. It must have BOTH a detachable magazine and be semi-auto first, and then possess one of the other AR features to be considered a banned weapon.

I would assume most turkey guns which are semi-auto have tube-style magazines so automatically they would be disqualified even if you put a bayonet, collapsible stock, and a muzzle brake on it.

Some of my other concerns:

1.) Where/how are we supposed to dispose of our high-capacity mags? What constitutes a "relic" magazine (which can be possessed legally) in the new gun law?

2.) How in the world is each county going to handle the incredible clerical demand for renewal of all of our pistol permits every five years? And at what cost every 5 years to each of us?

3.) When I want to buy ammo, how the heck is each dealer going to handle the demand for a background check each time? Is this going to take 45 minutes every time when I have to wait in line just to buy three boxes of slugs?

4.) When we are forced to register our AR's, is this a segway towards confiscation at a later date now that we have disclosed our firearms on a statewide database?

5.) As someone who treats people with mental illness, will this deter folks from seeking medical treatment b/c of fear that I legally may have to report them to authorities simply b/c they own guns?

I think every one of us supports having a safer community, but it looks to me that this legislation really doesn't target criminals at all - it's simply political posturing at it's finest......errr, worst.....

- Chris

The new classification is what's killing me under the new determination of what a assault weapon is thru s1422-2013. It states things like a muzzle break defined as a device that stops muzzle climb. So is a kicks choke tube illeagle now. Or any semi auto shotgun with a pistol grip. Turkey hunters are using assault rifles or the fact that my savage mark 2 target gun has a threaded barrel so I can change weights and balance the gun is now illeagle. I'm curious to see how many of these new regulations will truly affect us HUNTERS.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Craziness all around from this new legislation!!! I'm speechless and confused on all of this.

Flybuster, if I'm reading the law correctly (and I've read it 10 times and I'm still confused), but I would say that any gun you currently own would be grandfathered in but have to be registered if it:

Has a detachable magazine, is semi-automatic AND has "one of Assault Rifle features" such as a muzzle brake (I would consider a ported/vented choke tube like my Carlson's a muzzle brake), pistol grip, bayonet, collapsible stock etc. It must have BOTH a detachable magazine and be semi-auto first, and then possess one of the other AR features to be considered a banned weapon.

I would assume most turkey guns which are semi-auto have tube-style magazines so automatically they would be disqualified even if you put a bayonet, collapsible stock, and a muzzle brake on it.

- Chris

Chris what you mentioned is considered a "2 feature" law (first assault rifle ban) which is now a "one feature" law which does actually classify it as an assault style firearm.

in order to strengthen New York's assault weapon ban, expanding its reach and

making it easier to enforce. The proposed amendments replace the

existing ban consisting of and a "two-feature" test adopted from the

now-expired federal assault weapons ban with a clearer "one-feature"

test. The "two-feature" test bans any gun that is semi-automatic, has

a detachable magazine (in the case of pistols and rifles), and

possesses two features that are commonly associated with military

weapons. The "one-feature" test would ban semi-automatic guns with

detachable magazines that possess one feature commonly associated

with military weapons. This section also adds to the list of

"features" that characterize a banned weapon.

Chas,

With all due respect, that's what I said. Under the new law, a semi-auto gun with a detachable magazine (the detachable mag is not part of the "one feature test") and ONE feature would be banned (i.e. a pistol grip, flash suppressor). However, to the best of my understanding, if a semi-auto gun doesn't have a detachable magazine than it's not considered an assualt weapon, so it doesn't matter if it has "one feature" or not.

I might be wrong, but that's how I read the new law.

- Chris

Chas,

With all due respect, that's what I said. Under the new law, a semi-auto gun with a detachable magazine (the detachable mag is not part of the "one feature test") and ONE feature would be banned (i.e. a pistol grip, flash suppressor). However, to the best of my understanding, if a semi-auto gun doesn't have a detachable magazine than it's not considered an assualt weapon, so it doesn't matter if it has "one feature" or not.

I might be wrong, but that's how I read the new law.

- Chris

The remington autoloading hunting rifle uses detachable magizine and has an available thumb hole stock which deems it banned but is still a hunting rifle.

Sorry Chris I am not trying to argue with you, but it all comes down to how to intrepret the bill.

With my utmost respect,

Chas

I imagine that the next nail in the coffin will now come from ODRAMA in an executive order at the Federal level Hooray for democracy!

I feel bad for our Veterans as well as American men and women, that protect our Country and our Constitutional Rights to have this happen. What is next? Entering our homes? Seizing anything that "our" Elected Officials feel we shouldn't have? What Religion we practice? What is next,Martial Law? A sad and angry American,here...to say the least! ;(:@ Steve...........................

4th amendment rights are next to be disgraced by probable cause due to the electronic data base for firearms and ammo registration. Not just handguns...all firearms and ammo, and parts for guns. When you send a gun to a smith, it will be registered, when you send a gun from NY to anywhere it will be sent back not to you but a FFL dealer and be registered before you will pick it up in person.

Any of these actions places you and that gun on the data base. If it fits one of those prescibed definitions of features it will be seized and your open for inspection in your home after that as probable cause. Those are frightening scenarios whence you were legally owning a hunting rifle or shotgun just days ago.

I am writting my reps on this and asking for judicial processes to weigh in...if possible..if not I submit that the job of my represented district officials jobs just became useless and we are ruled by one...I would at that point suggest for a recall not just on this matter but many. Circumvented democratic process. Are we gonna be sheep here in upstate?

Just had this forwarded to me. Understanding it better doesn't make me like it any better.

FACT SHEET

NEW YORK’S NEW GUN CONTROL LAW

*This is a summary. It is not exhaustive*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The legislation (S. 2230) passed by the legislature and signed by the governor contains the following key components of significance to law abiding gun owners and pistol licensees.

Redefines and Bans “Assault Weapons.†An ‘assault weapon’ is now defined as any semiautomatic rifle or pistol capable of accepting a detachable magazine with ONE military style feature (folding stock, pistol grip, thumbhole stock, second grip that can be held by the weak hand, bayonet mount, flash suppressor, muzzle brake, compensator or threaded barrel or grenade launcher); any semiautomatic shotgun with ONE of the following: folding or thumbhole stock; second grip that can be held by the weak hand; a fixed magazine in excess of seven rounds; ability to accept a detachable magazine; A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following: folding or thumbhole stock; second grip that can be held by the weak hand; capacity to accept a magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip, threaded barrel, barrel shroud, weight of 50 oz or more when unloaded.

Within one year, all “assault weapons†under the new definition (pre-1994 and now pre-2013 semi-autos as defined above) must be registered with the state police at no cost. This will trigger a NICS check. Current owners may transfer these semi-autos only to a dealer or sell them out of state. Intentional failure to register will be a class A misdemeanor. Unintentional failure will trigger a 30 day grace period to register, after which the gun will be confiscated. Knowing possession of an unregistered assault weapon will be a felony.

The law does not distinguish between rimfire or centerfire firearms. Even .22s are covered by the law.

Exempt: the following are not ‘assault weapons’ and are not affected by this law: bolt action or pump rifles and shotguns; antiques; revolvers; semi-automatic rifles that cannot accept a detachable magazine; semi-auto shotguns holding five or fewer shotgun shells in a fixed or detachable magazine.

NEWS FROM

SENATOR JAMES L. SEWARD

51ST SENATE DISTRICT

www.seward.nysenate.gov

430 Capitol Bldg Albany, NY 12247 (518) 455-3131

41 South Main St. Oneonta, NY 13820 (607) 432-5524

Magazines. The law bans all magazines in excess of ten rounds, including “pre-ban†magazines of 20 or 30 rounds previously possessed lawfully. High capacity magazines possessed lawfully heretofore must be disposed of out of state or to someone authorized to possess them within one year. Ten round magazines are grandfathered, but it will be a crime to load them in excess of seven rounds. Magazines older than 50 years old – curios and relics – are exempt. No new ten round magazines may be sold or possessed in New York.

Pistol licenses. All pistol licenses will have to recertified (not renewed) every five years. Licensees will have to confirm to the state police that their information is current and that their registered pistols are still the only ones possessed. Pistol licensees will be able to request that their names be withheld from public disclosure, and state police will compile a statewide database of pistol license holders.

Ammunition. All ammunition purchasers must undergo an instant background check at the point of sale when the new state check system takes effect. This provision does not take effect for a year. A buyer of pistol or revolver ammunition will need to show a valid NYS pistol license and a driver’s license. Internet sales of ammo are banned except in the presence of a gun dealer where a NICS check is required.

Gun sales. A NICS background check will be required for all private sales of long guns in New York, except transfers to immediate family members.

Gun storage. The new law requires the safe storage of guns in a house where the gun owners knows someone in the house is mentally ill, prohibited from possessing a gun, is a convicted criminal or subject to an order of protection.

In the previous condensed version there is a glaring omission or discrepancy in the "exempt" paragraph.

It states

"semi-automatic rifles that cannot accept a detachable magazine;"

As beforehand it was the same rifle THAT CAN accept a detachable magazine, possessing ONE other AR feature.

If that other feature is missing, then it should still be a LEGAL, semi-auto, magazine fed hunting rifle

They better clear that up...It's a good thing that officials office contact is posted.

On second thought...are they trying to say a semi auto tubular magazine is ok and you can have whatever two features now allowed by the federal law?....due to some peculiar irregularities, it can't be translated....It's all bedboils!

Just had this forwarded to me. Understanding it better doesn't make me like it any better.

FACT SHEET

NEW YORK’S NEW GUN CONTROL LAW

Ammunition. All ammunition purchasers must undergo an instant background check at the point of sale when the new state check system takes effect. This provision does not take effect for a year. A buyer of pistol or revolver ammunition will need to show a valid NYS pistol license and a driver’s license. Internet sales of ammo are banned except in the presence of a gun dealer where a NICS check is required.

Gun sales. A NICS background check will be required for all private sales of long guns in New York, except transfers to immediate family members.

Gun storage. The new law requires the safe storage of guns in a house where the gun owners knows someone in the house is mentally ill, prohibited from possessing a gun, is a convicted criminal or subject to an order of protection.

I'm still confused - does anyone know if the internet ban of ammunition is effective immediately, or a year from now when the background provision goes into effect? FWIW, you guys should have seen Beikirch's in East Rochester today - folks parked on the lawn, on the road, line out the door, shelves wiped clean of firearms, and person after person carrying out 1000's of rounds of ammo.........

- Chris

I seen that weeks ago at tims guns in elbridge, We were the first ones in the door at 9am, By 9.10 it was packed and you looked both ways at the counter and everyone i saw had an ar-15 in their hands, Including police officers and dec guys, I was lucky enough to get my hands on an Ar-10, It came home with me, OOP'S i just sold that in the swap sheet! Never did get the persons name though. :lol: Buy all the ammo you can now because thats another way the good old Cuomo can tell what guns you have.