New NYS gun legislation????????

Legacy

To: The citizens of Erie County

From: The Erie County SheriffÂ’s Police Benevolent Association.

The Erie County SheriffÂ’s PBA is the organization that represents the men

and women of the Erie County SheriffÂ’s Police Services Division. All are

sworn Deputy SheriffÂ’s and certified New York State police officers engaged

in criminal law enforcement throughout Erie County. All have taken an

oath... to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Our membership,

like many citizens of New York are outraged at Governor CuomoÂ’s

unprecedented attack on our second amendment rights. Since 1977 three Erie

County SheriffÂ’s Deputies have been murdered and three wounded by gunfire in

the line of duty. In addition two deputies have been forced to use deadly

force to defend themselves from lethal attack by criminals. There is a

widespread misconception that law enforcement officers favor additional

restrictions on firearms ownership by law abiding citizens. Nothing could be

further from the truth. Rank and file police officers see every day the

aftermath of violent criminal attacks on defenseless victims. The uniformed

police officers paraded out as window dressing during the signing of these

laws are simply lap dogs seeking to further their own political ambitions.

The right of self-defense is an inherent right bestowed upon us by our

creator. It is not granted to us by elitist politicians like Andrew Cuomo

and Sheldon Silver to be denied when they see fit. Do not be misled; the

second amendment is not about hunting or target shooting. It is about the

right of law abiding citizens to defend themselves and is the last line of

defense against an over reaching and tyrannical government. The NYS Safe Act

was rammed through the legislature by Cuomo ignoring the usual three day

requirement for elected representatives to be able to review the legislation

and receive feedback from their constituents. It is nothing more than a tool

used by Cuomo to further his personal political ambitions. This law will do

nothing to reduce violent crime, as it is painfully clear that those intent

on victimizing others will ignore its provisions. It will simply create more

victims. It is time for all New Yorkers to wake up. We must confront the

societal breakdowns which cause the type of horrific mass shootings

incidents we have recently seen, many of which are directly caused by the

very policies that politicians like Cuomo seek to advance. On January 24,

2013 the Erie County SheriffÂ’s PBA unanimously passed a resolution of

non-support for the NYS Safe Act. We will work tirelessly to see this law

overturned. We commend and will support those elected officials with the

courage to oppose this misguided law and condemn those that did not. We are

citizens first and police officers second. We do not pick and choose which

amendments of the United States Constitutions we will uphold. Politicians

who swear an oath to uphold the constitution should do the same

The New York State Conservation Council urges your participation in the Gun Rights Rally and Lobby Day to be held in the Well of the Legislative Office Building in Albany on Thursday, February 28, 2013, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The theme of the Rally is "The NY SAFE Act Must Go!!"

Organized by the NYS Rifle & Pistol Association with cooperation from the Shooters Committee On Political Education, this is an opportunity for you to join with other sportsmen/women to let Governor Cuomo and state legislators know of your strong opposition to the recently-passed NY Secure Ammunition and Firearms Act. If you are gun owner, you need to be in Albany on February 28. According to SCOPE, "We are being called to Albany on February 28th to make our voices heard as one united coalition. The Governor's SAFE Act does nothing to keep anyone safe. It does put onerous and restrictive regulations on law abiding, tax paying citizens [who] are being singled out by a small minority with an agenda that can only be labeled as dubious."

The NYSR&PA says this is a day to lobby the state legislature on gun rights. It recommends that you call your Assembly Member and State Senator to make an appointment to meet with them in their offices on the 28th after the conclusion of the Rally at 12:30 p.m. Go to the home pages for the NYS legislature, http://www.nysenate.gov/ and http://assembly.state.ny.us, where you can find your legislators by entering your home address and/or zip code. It would be a good idea to make an appointment with a legislator who is not from your home district … deliver your message to the downstate/ metropolitan legislators as well.

The February issue of NYSCC's Grass Roots News contained several articles concerning the gun control issue that can serve as reference for talking points; be sure to refer to the newsletter for ideas.

Don't forget the ladies and youth! Bring them along if you can; show the legislators that there's more to this issue than a bunch of hunters in jeans and flannel shirts. Youngsters and women like to shoot, too – it's a family pastime enjoyed by many!

There are several public and private transportation options to get to Albany:

Several groups are putting together buses to Albany:

From Long Island: the Sportsmen's Association for Firearms Education, contact John Cushman 631/475-8125

From Ulster County: the Federated Sportsmen's Clubs of Ulster County, contact Elmer LeSuer 845/340-7404

From Erie County: the Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs, contact Rich Davenport 716/510-7952

From Utica/Mohawk Valley: contact Peg Roberts 315/941-6360

From Central NY: the Oswego and Onondaga County Sportsmen's Federations, contact Rick McDermott 315/882-1540

Check http://www.nysrpa.org/ and http://www.scopeny.org/ for additional areas that may be chartering buses for the trip to Albany.

Amtrak to Albany: Take the train to the Albany-Rensselaer (ALB) station. From there either take a private taxi or CDTA bus to the Empire State Plaza.

Driving to Albany: Parking is available under the Empire State Plaza. Cost is $2/hour and paid with a credit card. To get to the ESP take 1-787 to the South Mall Arterial exit. After parking take the elevator to the concourse level. The Legislative Office Building is accessible from there. Food and restrooms are available on the concourse level as well.

Remember to check your pockets before your lock your car and leave behind anything that might be construed to be a weapon; you will be asked to dispose of pocket knives, tools, scissors, etc. as you pass through security. Be respectful with your message and your attire; wear business casual dress; no camo. A neat shirt and slacks, with or without a jacket, will send the message that you should be taken seriously

I applaude the Erie County Sheriffs Police Benevolent Associations stance on this incredibly stupid law that fails to deal with the REAL problems that jeopardize the safety of all of us. None of the law enforcement officers (DEC and Deputy Sheriffs) in my locality that I've spoken with are supportive of this law. The fact that law enforcement views and input weren't taken into account prior to passing this insane legislation says a lot about the regard the governor and his cronies actually hold for law enforcement as well as the rest of the citizenry of this state.

I saw a reputable voter poll last week that said Cuomo's satisfactory rating dropped from 74 to 59 percent (which is HUGE in such a short amount of time) and it was directly related to passage of NY SAFE Act...although they should call it what it really is.... a GUN BAN! When those numbers start dropping some more we might start seeing some reversals. I wouldn't count on it though and the pressure has to be kept up and possibly even more so. If his popularity is dropping then I'm sure it must also be affecting those legislators that voted yes for passage although I haven't seen any of those numbers. Let's keep up the pressure and the good work!

GENESEE COUNTY S.C.O.P.E.

is participating in a

GUN RIGHTS RALLY IN ALBANY

FEBRUARY 28, 2013

$20.00 PER PERSON NON REFUNDABLE – INCLUDES TOLLS, TAX, PARKING, & TIP to Ride on a 36 passenger coach.

Leaving Genesee Co. at 04:30 (am) and returning approx. 17:30 (5:30 pm).

We welcome your Spouse, girlfriend, and/or neighbor!

Note: Membership in SCOPE is not required.

If enough passengers are willing to carpool to a single location, SCOPE will arrange for pick up & drop off at that spot. For example: if your gun club or business would like to send a group – we can pick up everyone there. Depending on location departure / arrival times may be adjusted.

Rally will be at the Legislative Office Building (LOB) “Well†area.

Time is available to visit your Assembly & Senate representatives.

Contact: Dave Kaufman 494–2314 (home) for details, to reserve a spot or to help us. PLEASE RESERVE A SPACE BY FEB. 13

“What if I can’t go?â€

Help send a relative or friend to voice your opinion.

Business owners- please consider allowing a day off for employees to join us.

Consider sponsoring someone else that may be unemployed & cannot afford the trip.

Donate any amount to help defray the cost of the trip.

As firearms owners, we need to have a unified voice in Albany.

We are going to Albany to discuss BUSINESS–so please dress in business-like attire.

NO CAMO !

In the past we have had 3000 people in the building to see representatives.

Help us get the recent “NYSAFE ACT†gun law overturned.

Mark

We need a unified voice across America...you guys think you having it bad...see what the jokers in California are going to pull.....

There was a man in history that said

" Make The Lie Big,

Make It Simple,

Keep Saying IT, And Eventually They Will Believe IT "

This is exactly what the Liberals and Democrats are doing across America. They have taken a lesson, right out of A Hitlers book of taking over a country.

Mark

We need a unified voice across America...you guys think you having it bad...see what the jokers in California are going to pull.....

There was a man in history that said

" Make The Lie Big,
Make It Simple,
Keep Saying IT, And Eventually They Will Believe IT "

This is exactly what the Liberals and Democrats are doing across America. They have taken a lesson, right out of A Hitlers book of taking over a country.

thinks_laws_keep_people_from_owning_guns_smoke.jpg
upload foto
These are the emboldened ones you talk about Stan. Their leader was voted back into power by these cause we didn't think it could get worse and sat it out too much. Now see how all the unions love him after he lied to them too! It's good that his own home state is the first to go down the bankrupt drain this year. Yes I did see that the Gov. Brown...wait wasn't he the one that everyone wanted to get rid of...but got voted back in? :smoke: SEE!!! pot smokers...
Ok yeah the state of Kalifornika is outlawing ALL semi- auto firearms. It's amazing, we will have states welcoming any firearms owners and some who will banish firearms owners. Well at least the states with firearms will not have to worry about drug dealers sticking around when it will be much easier to sell pot in states like California without having to worry about getting shot at so much. Peace to the dealers and users, keep a dome on that hollow over there so we don't all get high on the westerlies.
Sorry about that Stan, you have a very beautiful state to live in and you do live in a niche that is relatively sane there. Similar in our two states that have the upstate and downstate mentalities. Edited by skipper19

It seems to me this SAFE Act is totally unconstitutional. The US supreme court overturned a ruling from a lower DC court  preventing a special police officer from registering a hand gun he wished to keep in his home for protection.  Here is a link to the summary:  http://www.lawnix.com/cases/dc-heller.html . The supreme court wrote "The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms†that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition—in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute—would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional. Because Heller conceded at oral argument that the D. C. licensing law is permissible if it is not enforced arbitrarily and capriciously, the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief and does not address the licensing requirement. Assuming he is not disqualified from exercising Second Amendment rights, the District must permit Heller to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home."

The NYS gun law essentially eliminated an entire class of guns.  No manufacturer manufactures semi-automatic guns with seven round magazines.  The legislature also passed this law without public comment, which the NYS Sheriffs association pointed out.  We need to get this law overturned.  

I agree with everything said except the fact that "no manufacturer of semiauto guns makes a 7 round magazine"....many if not most .45 cal semi autos and  for example my Walther ppks .380 auto and most of its kind in the smaller calibers have 6 or 7 round magazines. The crux of the situation is that MANY manufacturers make 10 round magazines and higher capacity magazines but not 7 round mags for many common handguns and I'm sure they have no intention of starting to manufacture them for one state out of 50 when from a marketing standpoint the HIGHER capacity magazines are what sells. Another issue is for example someone who has a 9mm Sig Sauer P-228 which came with two 13 round magazines (as sold) and is no longer manufactured as it was supplanted by the P229 (multi caliber not just 9mm). The problem is that there is no way to make the gun legal now because you can't get 10 round mags now and it was an $800 firearm and thats only one example. Now it becomes a single shot firearm which is what the bozos in Albany are heading toward. I also have been told that 10 round magazines will no longer be allowed to be shipped to NY or sold in NY and this was confirmed when I tried to order some from a number of manufacturers. Even the firearm manufacturers are running scared with this NY stuff and Obamas ideas and the fact that this NY SAFE thing could set a precedent for other insanely like-minded state legislators. On Emperor Cuomo's website it is mentioned that existing higher capacity magazines can be PERMANENTLY  MODIFIED to accept the "legal"  (my quotes) number of rounds. They don't however specify what constitutes PERMANENT. As I read the stuff on the website even an old Mossberg .22 from over 50 years ago ( over 50 years considered an antique by this law) despite having a 15 round tube fed magazine (not a detachable one) is required to be registered. I guess it may make a couple of woodchucks and squirrels happier but not more safe:>)

Edited by Sk8man

Anybody been watching about this fired police officer dorner in California, They haven't said a word on national tv about the 6 officers that shot and wounded a Grandmother and Grandaughter in a vehicle that resembled Dorners vehicle, Just shot it full of holes. The 6 officers are on paid leave, Wow huge lawsuit coming.

FYI-  If you go to the NRA web site ( nraila.org)You can e-mail your state & federal  reps./law makers all at once ,very easy.  Write your thoughts send them & let them know how you feel.  There is more gun control crap coming at us.

Edited by lineman49

Anybody been watching about this fired police officer dorner in California, They haven't said a word on national tv about the 6 officers that shot and wounded a Grandmother and Grandaughter in a vehicle that resembled Dorners vehicle, Just shot it full of holes. The 6 officers are on paid leave, Wow huge lawsuit coming.

They settled for a new truck!

While at work selling guns yesterday a customer told me about a sign he saw. It was a picture of an AR. It read "I can use this to protect your family abroad but I can't own one to protect my family here at home"

This video may be of interest to folks who want to know what the pro Constitution legislators in Albany think of the gun law - Brian Kolb sent it to me.

Edited by Sk8man