State of Eastern Finger Lakes Meetings

Early Notice:

State of the Eastern Finger Lakes Meetings – DEC Fisheries staff will hold two meetings in March to discuss the current status of the fisheries in the four Region 7 Finger Lakes (Cayuga, Owasco, Skaneateles, and Otisco), provide information on future management activities on the lakes and tribs, discuss the Angler Diary Program administered on the Finger Lakes, and answer questions from those in attendance. The first meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 18 at the BASS Pro Shop in Auburn(conference,seminar room), while the second will be located at the Groton High School Auditorium(400 Peru Rd Groton NY 13073 (RT38)) on Wednesday, March 20. We anticipate both meetings will start at 7:00 PM and run for approximately two hours. Doors open at 6:30

I will offer to create an email list for anyone who wants on it (bcc so no emails will be given out) sign up at door. If someone was not able to ask question I will relay them to DEC for a response. I can send out the fisheries reports I get every other month etc.

I will try to make it to one, but with young twins you never know! Could someone ask if there is something that can be done about the ridiculously low winter water levels in our beloved fingerlakes? Many of the launches are unuseable even if they are ice free. Even extending the concrete ramp pads would be one step that could help if the lake levels cannot be raised.

Thanks,

DJ

• 1 month later...

The meetings are a definite. DEC will do press release March 7. Time change on the Bass Pro meeting do to store closing at 9:00

Monday, March 18, 6:30 to 8:30  Bass Pro Conference room

Wednesday, March 20: 7:00 to 9:00  Groton High School Auditorium

There will be time for Q&A session as well. I hope these meetings are well attended

If coming to the Groton meeting please check out our 6th grade Trout in Classroom tank with brown trout. Students will have posters up as well. Power Point from last year on our home page.  http://www.grotoncs.org/

when are the western finger lakes meeting

Early Notice:
State of the Eastern Finger Lakes Meetings – DEC Fisheries staff will hold two meetings in March to discuss the current status of the fisheries in the four Region 7 Finger Lakes (Cayuga, Owasco, Skaneateles, and Otisco), provide information on future management activities on the lakes and tribs, discuss the Angler Diary Program administered on the Finger Lakes, and answer questions from those in attendance. The first meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 18 at the BASS Pro Shop in Auburn(conference,seminar room), while the second will be located at the Groton High School Auditorium(400 Peru Rd Groton NY 13073 (RT38)) on Wednesday, March 20. We anticipate both meetings will start at 7:00 PM and run for approximately two hours. Doors open at 6:30
I will offer to create an email list for anyone who wants on it (bcc so no emails will be given out) sign up at door. If someone was not able to ask question I will relay them to DEC for a response. I can send out the fisheries reports I get every other month etc.

I was the one who approached Dave and Dan Bishop at the Cortland office about the need for these meetings. Dave was already thinking the same thing. They were not "prepared" for a meeting either. Dan is putting together a power point as we speak. They just knew it was important to prepare for one. Not sure why the R8 crew could not prepare. My original thought was to have a lake wide meeting, but they seemed hesitant to wait for th R8 guys so we went ahead with the Eastern. We need to put pressure on the Western crew as I think from what I see there are important issues there as well.

DEC press release on their home page for the 2 meetngs. www.dec.ny.gov

Note that our governors office has to approve press releases all his departments do now. This way he can put his name in support of all us sportmen and women. I know I feel better that he endorsed these meetings that a private citizen initiated and not his state departments as he claims.

Hope to see many of you at one of the meetings, I should be at both.

• 2 weeks later...

55 people braved the weather. We should have more Q&A time at the Groton meeting as there was a rush to finish before BASS closed. If you can't make it and have an important question PM me and I will try to get an answer.

The meeting was quite informative and time well spent, if there is anyway that you can attend Wednesday's meeting you should make the effort to attend.

Flyrod2, many thanks for getting this organized!!!!

The effort to eradicate the hydilla is going well.

The current bumper crop of lampreys is the result of high lake levels that allowed the spawning lampreys to bypass the fishway . NYSDEC is working on the paperwork to treat the inlet with lampricide this Summer.(90% of the lampreys spawn in the inlet).

The sturgeon that were stocked about 20 years ago should be reaching sexual maturity-they will be checking for spawning activity.

No mention of walleye on Cayuga.

Lake trout stocking has been adjusted downward on both Cayuga and Owasco.

They don't feel that stocking more rainbows would necessarily result a better rainbow population.

Could not make last night meeting as well, thanks to those that were able to go.

Any measure of the impact the lampreys have had on the trout population? 

Any comments about the impact of the power plant intake on the sturgeon?

Thanks, Chris

Just a couple of things I wrote down pertaining to the questions here,

The did say that there are walleye in Cayuga Lake and that the plan was "to let nature take its course." I don't think they went into it much more than that and I do not think any studies of thier natural reproduction of been done or at least they didn't speak on them if they have been. 

The lake trout question about the impact of the lampreys wasn't really answered but in reading between the lines I think they are excpecting to see the catch rate continue to drop.

The lamprey control measure conversation was an interesting one. If I get any of this info wrong please correct me guys but from my notes this is what I took out of it. The lamprey in the lake now are from the high waters of '07/'08. They are able to get up into the streams past the fishway in Ithaca when the water is up to spawn. Once they spawn they will remain in the streams for 3 to 13 years in some parts of the world, 3 to 4 years they said our case once in the lake they have a couple of years to raise hell and die off. With the high water in the spring of '11 DEC figures the little buggers are in the streams for at least another year before the "new" crop hits the lake. DEC said they are in the process of getting the required permits in place so they can to order the chemicals needed to treat the stream in Ithaca at least, in the spring of '14. Logic being that if there is another high water event this year or next the lamprey can be controlled at the same time as the batch that already there waiting to hit the lake that year.

Kind of long winded but that's what I remember from last nights meeting.

Thanks Flyrod2 for getting invovled and giving us the chance to sit with the DEC. It was time well spent. Mark

Ive been catching alot of fish with lampreys on them within the last 2 weeks.  The lampreys were all around 6-8" long.  Unlike the monsters that were being caught last summer/fall.

Edited by vogel451