Requirements for Mate on Charter Boat?

Hey guys I'm thinking about trying to get a spot on a charter boat for next year to help out bring a little money in at college in Oswego and to get my days in so I can get my USCG captains license. Do you guys know if you have to have a captains license or another type of certificate to work as a mate on a charter boat? Or anyone whose looking for help on a salmon fishing boat paying or not at least I'll be able to get my days racked up for the license. Thanks Paul

Gambler is right, you must be enrolled in a random drug testing program. You will be tested prior to ever going out, and then subject to random testing year=round.

The mate is a very important person, as you look out for the safety of the passengers with the Captain. You also are 2nd in command, should anything happen to the Captain. This means you should be able to operate the vessel(s) you are working on so that you can get the party safely ashore. In addition, you are an additional "face" of the Capts business, so you won't get committed to on a web board. Get down to Oswego end of March early April and introduce yourself to as many of the Capts as you can. You can expect to start slowly and get more work as you prove your worth. Good luck!

Many Oswego Captains have used the Maritime Consortium for this program, I was in it for over 10 years maybe you can google its contact, was like $100/season

Drop Dave an E mail

[email protected] he had asked me a few days ago for a few guys looking to mate, he does about 100 trips a season and needs a mate in the Oswego area

I am sure you will not be the only one willing to work so good luck

Tom

You also are 2nd in command, should anything happen to the Captain. This means you should be able to operate the vessel(s) you are working on so that you can get the party safely ashore.

You telling me Nick has put your baby in the slip in the 'cott?

You also are 2nd in command, should anything happen to the Captain. This means you should be able to operate the vessel(s) you are working on so that you can get the party safely ashore.

You telling me Nick has put your baby in the slip in the 'cott?

that's a big baby

Rick, I said get everyone in safely, not pull off a miracle. Those docks are tight for a 24 fter, let alone the "big baby", LOL.

These days, avoiding high spots(shallow), gobs of weeds, a narrow channel and a floating armada all during a storm surge tests even a seasoned captain, but yes I am confident he could pull up to one of the transient docks safely.