Penn Yan Outrage?

JakeyBaby

Was not in the market for a new boat giving i love fishing off the one i have! But a buddy of mine is selling his 95 Penn Yan Outrage LOADED for what seems to be a pretty good price! Dont know much about PY's, so was hoping for a little better knowledge on this style boat. Should i run away or at it??

Thanks Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Surveys are worth every penny, friend or not, you or he may never know what really lies below..

I bought my boat without a survey. It won't happen again, but I will admit that once I got the survey, the vessel turned out worth more than what I purchased it for. A good surveyor will make you feel really comfortable about your vessel.

Good luck,

Nick

Not for nothing, but mine was dry docked surveyed and when I brought it back to Sandy for tommy to look and run it, it was a mechanical nightmare! Luckily the owner dropped the price a lot for me or I was driving it 3 hours back to him. Rob can attest to this. It's a loooong story, but to say I was stressed in the 2012 season is an understatement.

Don't rely on just the survey!

Just want to add my boat buying tradgeity, I bought a 22ft Sea Ray week ender looked sweet,it was in as in a barn all covered up, the guy I bought it from was a preacher man from a well known church in jersey I asked him if it was ever was in salt water and he said NO,( I owned the boat for 18 years and only fished lake Oneida) then his fishing buddy died and he lost intrest in the boat and had it winterized by a marina in New York, Being a man of GOD I bought his story and the boat, it's been 2 years since then and maybe this year I will get to use it finally-I have to much $ into it now to back out now.!!!!! Moral of my story is don't trust no one, get it servayed and take someone with you that knows boats inside and out even if you have to pay that person to go with you, IT will save you lots in the end (buy the way it was in salt water preacher man LIED) :devil::no:

You guys are starting to scare me!!! I did try to contact Tommy yesterday but no answer. This boat is about 2-3 hours away so might be a little tough to find someone to go with me. But I def. want this thing, it is a sweet ride (from what i've seen of it) and has everything you would ever need to fish Lady O!!

I was looking at a sweet PY last fall.

Looked great and I've been around boats for a long time.

Survey came back with water intrusion in the transome and rotted stringers.

Saved myself $6000.00 + and alot of aggravation.

Also suggest a qualified mechanic you trust to check out the motor and transmission to be safe.

Good luck

Glen

well i talked to Tommy today about the boat and all he would give me is the cons about this boat!! :o He says there is no pro's in buying a boat!haha but the biggest isue i have now is more than likely I wont be able to hear it run since it is Jan. And i def no i aint going to be able to her take for a test ride! This sucks I want this toy!!

Jake.....Don't fall in love......Boats are like women...As they get older..they need more attention....if they don't get it, they get ornery.

True MAtt but atleast we can put the boat in storage for a couple of months.

Jakeybabey,

Don't make the same mistake I did. When I purchased my boat, I did not have a survey done on it. It looked in great shape BUT, I ended up spening a TON of $$$$ to put stringers, a transom and new wood in the gunnels. Spend the $ and get a survey done.

Jake.....Don't fall in love......Boats are like women...As they get older..they need more attention....if they don't get it, they get ornery.

True MAtt but atleast we can put the boat in storage for a couple of months.

Jakeybabey,

Don't make the same mistake I did. When I purchased my boat, I did not have a survey done on it. It looked in great shape BUT, I ended up spening a TON of $$$$ to put stringers, a transom and new wood in the gunnels. Spend the $ and get a survey done.

Yeah, what Brian said. My boats is now built better than when it left Thompson's Factory, but it cost a crapload to fix and I lost the entire 2003 fishing season while it was being rebuilt. Get a survey on anything you buy, It'll cost several hundred, but may save you many thousands.

Tim