Walley Fishing

Goatboy

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for walleye from shore in your area I would suggested taking a short drive under the Burlington sky way and fishing the canal. Walleye can be had pulling deep divers and minnows along the bottom of the wall. Mostly a late evening bite in the spring. Keep it close to the bottom and bring a long net.

• 3 weeks later...

Walleyes are present in good #'s if you can find them. But generally they are over shadowed by the salmon and trout fishery we have.

I completely agree with this statement and I for one couldn't be happier lol. Don't get me wrong, tuning up on the browns early is a blast. And I chase a few kings when I can, but having most of our trolling done without competing for territory (after May anyways) is definitely a bonus. Different strokes for different folks, either way its always good to wet a line on lady O...

• 4 weeks later...

How bout a little help on where to look and how to try for the walley in Ontario.  I usually go out from the Oak. I know in erie it was worm harnesses and rapalas at night but i wouldnt know where to try or start on Ontario. 

Edited by scokat

Walleye are migratory fish, so thats the guideline to understand to start out.

They spawn in the river systems that feed into the lake and after spawn will start the annual trek out to the main lake basin.  They will spend the warm summer months in and around the deep water in the basin, some bioligists believe that they may even travel all the way across the lake to the opposite side but I don't believe that to be true.  Come fall when the water starts to cool down, they will start trekking back to stage outside the spawning rivers for the winter.  Start of spring they head into rivers for spawn and then do the whole cycle all over again.

That's the guideline for the yearly migration, so this time of year find out where they spawn and fish in and around the structure close to their spawning ground.  They may travel a long way in a given season but they will always use the structure that is close by whever they are on their travels.

I would expect that the cold temps this year would keep them close to the spawning areas for opener.  Last year was very warm and there was very little success close to the rivers.

How bout a little help on where to look and how to try for the walley in Ontario. I usually go out from the Oak. I know in erie it was worm harnesses and rapalas at night but i wouldnt know where to try or start on Ontario. [/quote

]

I can't speak for other portions of the lake because I haven't fished them. The eastern basin from Henderson all the way around to the mouth of the St.Lawrence, and in the river itself, holds a good population of walleye. As stated with the opener next weekend odds are a majority of fish will be near their spawning grounds. On this end of the lake black river bay tends to get the most attention early on. All of the normal techniques can be applied here as well to catch eyes, sticks, spoons, and harnesses all have their days

With surface water temperatures below 65 degrees F. walleye can be taken near shore and off shore suspended in the top of the water column. After it gets warmer off shore fishing will produce if you are using side planers to move your lures and worm harnesses farther away from the boat. As the boat passes by, the fish herd out farther away and that is where your lures will be on the side planer boards. Trouble is the salmon and trout will have to be dealt with also. Riggers will pull them off the bottom where the big gals lay looking up for passing smelt and alewives. The preferred bottom water temperatures are where the thermocline meets the bottom, also the preferred area for brown trout. Dipsey divers will take your lures out and down to these big ones. Deep water fishing is best with worm harnesses. Walleye are considered "eating fish" and with all the Heath Department scares usually they are underutilized by the sport fishing groups but there are bigger walleye in Lake Ontario than Lake Erie.