Temps for early Browns?

I got a temp gauge and want to use it WISELY to catch more browns in Mar/April/May. What should I be looking for on the surface and/or below? Is temp more or less important than the waterline(stain/clear) ? Anything else to consider? Thanks PRO's, I do OK when I go out, just want to learn/get better!! BTW, I don't keep all I catch, only what I can eat when fresh... I just can't seem to enjoy the frozen taste. So you don't have to worry about me depleting your chances to score :D

I think what you'll find is ANY 2-3 deg. rise will produce fish but, if that temp is also a color change than JACKPOT. I've turned plenty of fish in just a color break because all the water was the same temp. On the flip side, temp in GIN clear water my hold fish but, there not going to stay there for long after the first boat blows through. Near shore browns are usually a early AM bite but under the right conditions I've caught them till noon.

My sub troll doesn't even get used till mid to end of May the temps dont "cline" they "bar " as to say vertical not horizontal. Just watch your fishfinder if it's got temp.

I think what you'll find is ANY 2-3 deg. rise will produce fish but, if that temp is also a color change than JACKPOT. I've turned plenty of fish in just a color break because all the water was the same temp. On the flip side, temp in GIN clear water my hold fish but, there not going to stay there for long after the first boat blows through. Near shore browns are usually a early AM bite but under the right conditions I've caught them till noon.

My sub troll doesn't even get used till mid to end of May the temps dont "cline" they "bar " as to say vertical not horizontal. Just watch your fishfinder if it's got temp.

Exactly!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Just what Lund SSS said, that's the exact program.

One thing to consider, if you're in gin clear water and not producing, you don't want to stay there, you want to get out of it and find that productive water that Lund SSS was talking about. Most of what gets deployed behing my boards is speed tolerant stuff, and when in search mode I'm trolling at 3 mph, maybe a touch faster, to cover ground and watch my surface temp, and I keep looking over the side to check water clarity.

You may find that under certain wind conditions, that certain coves and points will hold productive water.