Stupid ?

JakeyBaby

How do I know if my boat has mechanical or hydr. steering? :lol: I know i should know this but I honsetly have no clue. My boat is 215 Chris Craft Sea Hawk with a 3.7L 4cyl. 180Mercruiser engine. I do know that there is a belt driven power steering pump if that helps at all.

Thanks Matt

If you have a power steering pump assy. with a belt running from the pump assy. down to the crank pully then you have power steering , or a snow plow on the front of your boat, because that is the only other thing I ever saw run off of the power steering pump, the Dodge snow comanders in the early 80's used this type of set up, they used this setup instead of a electric moter to run the plow pump :lol::rofl::rofl:

My ? was not if i had power steering because i know that i do. It was how to tell what style i had? should there be visable cables i could see with a machanical? I was told you can have a power steering to assist mechanical steering. And i also thought the power steering pump would aid the hyrd. steering? Man i guess this was a stupid question

I'm going to assume with that boat, you have a steering that is cable driven, hydraulic assist. Unless someone had done the upgrade. With your size engine, should be able to look behind your engine and see the hydraulic cylinder assisting the steeering cable ram to the inside control ARM in the transom for the outdrive..

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Sounds like mech power assist. This is the same setup I have in my searay amberjack. Like previous replys. You probably have a power steering pump that assists the cable system. If you had a hydraulic system there would be lines directly to the steering wheel.