Single or trebel hook

tannero

There is a reason why they came out with trebles, for a better hook up rate. Personally I would like to catch any fish willing to hit my lure instead of missing hits. There are there times when singles will work but why use antiquated tools.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If your catch and release fishing a single hook increases the survival rate of the fish particularly of steelhead that can be much harder to revive than say a king. Not to say they can't be revived fishing a treble but I would think less punctures means less stress on the fish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

This has been debated for decades and will always be debated. The answer is both. A place for both in our fishery. If you look at Bass fishing, both are commonly used depending on bait style. If, and thats a big IF, you can get a single sunk in our trolling fishery, usually thats alot harder for them to "throw" or rip free. Its a day to day or even hour to hour thing whether a Salmonoid will swipe and miss a single hooked bait and come back again. If they did, they would be the clear choice. The trebles grab the slashers and the "short hits" better, but you will drop some.

As for singles always being better for C n R and not damaging fish, I would say in the tribs with tiny hooks absolutely. In the lake, the larger singles can inflict damage alot deeper because of the large gap and short shank trebles would be a better choice.

This has been debated for decades and will always be debated.

Your not kidding. I had this very same debate with my Uncle Tom on many fishing trips. My argument for trebles was that hook up rates were higher, especially on days when fish are swiping, or short striking, at the lure. =more fish in the boat. His argument for singles was that once hooked, you loose less fish. =more fish in the boat.

Boy... I miss fishing with that guy.

I would add also it depends on the spoon blank. I have light weight R&R blanks that have singles for running at slower speeds. My NK's I run for steelhead have trebles. I would have to say as a percentage I have killed more small fish with a single (brained) than a treble. The treble inflicts more "non-lethal mouth damage". You take the risk of killing a fish every time you put a lure down so I don't sweat it, I except it. For me it is about how I want the spoon to run.

My 2 cents

I believe singles give you deeper and more solid hook ups but only once they are hook. I believe you are less likely to lose fish once a fish is hooked on a single hook. Once a fish is on, hes stuck. Rarely do you see a lighly hooked fish on a single (in comparison to a treble). The downside is the missed fish. Because of the lack of hook points fish have a better chance of simply avoiding the hook and in return providing clean misses. At the end of the day your landing percentage will be better then trebles.

Trebles simply put more hooks in the water thus increasing the chance that you may stick one into a fish.

I think trebles create more foul hooked or poorly hooked fish then singles. You will lose more fish while fighting them but with that being said a poorly hooked fish still gives you an opportunity to put it in the boat. Your landing percentage may be lower then singles but at the end of the day you will be given the chance to put more fish in the boat.

My choice trebles :yes:

If your catch and release fishing a single hook increases the survival rate of the fish particularly of steelhead that can be much harder to revive than say a king. Not to say they can't be revived fishing a treble but I would think less punctures means less stress on the fish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I actually disagree with that regarding C&R on steelhead and survival, especially smaller steelhead. Large single/siwash hooks frequently end up deeply hooking small steelhead and more often than not, end up coming out through the eye socket, making it almost impossible to successfully release them.

Tim

I like to run what came on the lure. If you buy high Quality spoons, more than likely what is on there or should I say style/size is what has worked best for their tests. A size 1 , 1/0 or 2/0 trebel of better quality only needs one barb stuck well to do its job.We all have broken hooks trying to dehook well hooked fish. I would rather have 3 chances instead of 1 . Switching from trebs to single will drasticly change the lures action,which could be good or bad so be aware. I like Eagle claw LS 374. I use them for spoons,Flies, Spinners ,etc.I change to them w/ my J plug harnesses. They are priced reasonable & I have confidence in them . They were replacements for NK 28's.

I personally prefer untangling single hooks and find removing them from nets, the flooring and/or my fingers much easier than trebles. I also find with bigger fish that the singles usually hook a little deeper in the mouth i.e. towards the corners. Trebles too often hook towards the front of the mouth, where the jaws are much harder for the barbs to dig into. When the trebles do get engulfed, it makes a mess out of the fish's mouth, tonge, gills etc.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 1 month later...

Trebles often have the characteristic of the individual hooks working against each other in the fishes mouth when he is hooked such that in many cases it ends up being a weaker hookup (lose more fish) than with the single stainless steel siwash hooks designed for salmon and other large fish

If  you are going to make the switch from trebles to singles, you need to make sure you select a singe that matches the weight of the treble you are replacing.  Spoons are designed to run with that weight hook behind it and doing with something lighter OR heavier will affect the spoons action.

Tim