Down Rigger Cable

I lost two probes last year, due to stainless steel cable failure. I bought Pro Line Braid for down riggers rated at 250# test

where as SS is 135#. Has anyone been using this product? At $325.00 for a probe and shark weight, I am a little cautious.

I haven't tried it because I would feel lost without the cable hummmmm, but from what I've heard, welcome to fleaville in the summertime. I'd go with 150 lb steel rigger cable minimum, especially if you're running a probe and heave weight.

Tim

• 1 month later...

I would definitely go with 150 lb. stainless steel downrigger cable but you need to carefully use the RIGHT DIAMETER CRIMP on it and crimp it correctly so there is no "wiggle" of the wire in the crimp. I have had the same SS wire on my downriggers since the mid 1980's without a failure of any kind.

Personally, I would suggest to never use crimps.  Crimps are the cause of most probes ending up on the bottom. 

Use one of the terminators like the Klincher of the Cannon Terminators.  you can even use the same wire line know we use for tying the snap swivel onto the wire diver lines, but it's a little bit tougher to tie due to the diameter and stiffness of the wire.

Tim

There's a really big difference with blowback with the 150 vs 200 Lb coated cable running a 12 Lb ball more than 50 ft down.

It really doesn't take much to check for kinks in cable. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)