Ray C80 vs. Garmin 4208

Billy V

I'm looking for a new chartplotter and I'd like to be able to add radar over the cartography as well. Both of these units will do that. I'd like to have an 8" screen. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with the GPS and radar functions in particular of these units. I'm not at all interested in their fish finding capabilities since I have a new Furuno 585 for that.

Thanks!

Bill, I am also looking for a good Chartplotter/Radar combo after the magnetron on my 1988 Apelco radar died last summer. Also, my GPS is Raytheon circa 1995 sans any plotting functions. I notice that Lowrance has a beautiful new series of large color daylight viewable GPS/Chartplotter displays of various sizes (7200c/8200c/9200c) that can be mated to any of their LRA series radars to provide both functions. They are also touting new software that will enable you to superimpose the radar plot on the chart with the addition of an optional fluxgate compass (to give the radar a directional reference point). They also make reasonably priced fuel GPH meters that display on the same screen so that you can find your optimum cruising RPM. Personally, I'm looking at a combo of the 8200C Chartplotter w/ 8.5" screen (~$1200) with the LRA-2000 4KW radome (~$1500). I'm just a little worried about interface issues I read regarding Lowrance products on the web. I will continue to investigate over the winter and let you know of any newfound info. Appreciate if you could do the same. Kindest regards...

Will do Steve. I've looked into the Lowrance products pretty thoroughly and I like their GPS/Chartplotters an awful lot, but their radar is pretty new (it came out last year I think). I see in their 2008 catalog that they're offering a new HD radar that can be superimposed over the chart. My only concern is that it's a brand new technology to them. If anyone has seen that setup in action I'd like to know more about it too.

Bill I cant speak for the Lowrance havent seen one .

But I have seen the Garmin unit In operation. Totally awsome. The radar overlay in color is amazing .Its almost like watching the storms pass thru on TV. The graphics and G2 options are ," I dont want to sound like a Garmin salesmen here" , but I would imagine they would be tough to beat. A garmin 3210 is on my Xmas list.

First Ive gotta get this house sold.....

Billy,

I would wait and look at the new Furuno multi display screens coming out. they are saying the new 3d maps are the best there is, and we all know their Radar is the best. Just a thought, I am not sure of price range, I am sure the new Furunos will debut at the Miami show. If I hear anything I will let you know.

Rich

I'd love to go with the new Furuno, but they're almost twice as much as the Raymarine and the Garmin. Much as I wish the budget was unlimited, its not and I'm already going to be reaching to get myself into a multifunction display.

I've heard really good things about the Garmin GPS units, but I don't know much about their radar units. I know that the Raymarine GPS and radar is first class all the way. The Garmin comes pre-loaded with all the charts, whereas the Ray doesn't have any charts included, so I really have a tough choice to make.

Billy V,

On the old boat I had the Lowrance 8.5" screen with GPS and Radar. I did have several problems with the unit. It would not power up or it would turn on and off. After several new cables it did seen to work at the end of the year. I got a 94 pursuit 3100 express that already had a Garmin 3010 on the boat with radar. Night and day difference. I added the G2 Ontario chip, was by far the best I have ever seen. Not only is the radar like what Fishstix said but the chip has every port of entry on the lake. These are not just depth and markers, but the chip has multiple over head pictures of the shoot's, marina's, gas, bar and outhouse on the lake :lol: It had 3 over head pictures of Hughes marine, were I think I could see fishstix in the weeds with a large ape like creature :shock:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys. I still haven't made a decision. I'm waiting to see what the pricing is like on the new Furuno MFD8. From what I've read and seen so far, the new NavNet 3D that they've come out with is gonna be incredible.