Battery Life

Jack

Hi !

I always pull my batteries charge them and store them in the basement for the winter. I have 4 seasons on them now .

Was wondering if they would go for a 5 th summer ? How long should they last ? ( dual starting batt )

Thanks JT

I would say you're doing great at 4 years. I would say load test them and see how they respond. But personally, I am a firm believer that load testing a battery reduces the life of one. I wouldn't see why you couldn't get another season, but a piece of mind for reliable batteries is always great while out on the water. I service mine every three seasons.

Nick

Being in the starter and alt. business, all batteries are made overseas except Decka batteries, made in Reading,PA. I would replace batteries every 3 years just to be safe, most marine batteries are group 31 batteries, some with top posts being large lead terminals/some with screw posts that can be used around home till they puke,we sell them at the price of $90.00 a lot cheaper than a sea tow!! Just my opinion.

I have run batteries for 5-years babying them the same way you are during the winter but I was always nervous the fifth year that a problem would arise. It never did. The risk is really up to you.