Other Jan's Netcraft Okuma Combo

What are you going to put on them the 20's are not that big, would work for a rigger reel. I know its hard at times to drop money on a good reel, but they pay for themselves in long run. I got a big box of broken magda pros in my basement. We run the higher end okumas now.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If you just starting out the magda pro's would be a good start. I had them an burnt them up. drag and clickers are no good after 2 yrs. Like sean said your better off buying a better quality. The convectors, the cold water reels also from okuma, and the diawia 47 are good dependable reels for a little bit more money.

Haven't tried them but I'm a believer in buying quality once, especially reels. Second the recommendation on Daiwa Sealines as a good quality decent price. Do what you can for good stuff and fill out with cheaper if need be.

Also depending on what you want it for a longer rod may be better, those might be okay for a rigger rod but longer is better for dipseys.

I use those Okuma StrataMaster combos from Bass Pro. They usually have them on sale for about $80. The rods are o.k. but the reels are far superior to the Diawa 47LC and the Convector in my opinion. The drag is smoother and they hold up really well. I am on my 4th year with these reels and no problems at all. The rods are pretty shot though.

see them here http://www.basspro.com/Okuma-Stratamast ... uct/93453/

I have ran my Magda 30s for 3 years and they are used for salmon, and walleye. All the newer Magda series come with the same drag washers as the higher end convectors and use the same drag system.

This is my first casting rod/reel for trolling and being on a budget this appealed to me. I will be mainly using as a DR reel but might want to use with a dipsy. At this point I only plan on trolling in Finger Lakes (especially Hemlock/Canadice) and possibly St Lawrence R, not for big stuf on Lake O. Getting out 20X a year would be a lot. I tend to go for light tackle but maybe I should be looking at heavier rod/reel?

Jack

You would probably be ok using it as a DR set up, but I would spend some $$ and get a good wire diver set up. You will catch a lot of fish on a wire diver rig on the Finger Lakes. You can run three rods solo so a rigger rod with a slider a good dipsy rod or two, and a copper rig of an inline you would be busy. Just let us know if you need help rigging something up, lots of good folks on here to point you in the right direction. We have ran it all on my boat some rods and reels have not held up. My stuff takes a beating, heck I fish with Jason :lol::rofl:

I use the okuma magda 15s and 20s for walleye and trout on honeoye,canadice and hemlock. 7.5 and 8 ft medium lights. Work great for the combo price.

Zack,

What line do you use on the magda 20?

Jack

I use the okuma magda 15s and 20s for walleye and trout on honeoye,canadice and hemlock. 7.5 and 8 ft medium lights. Work great for the combo price.

Zack,

What line do you use on the magda 20?

Jack

Jack, I spool them with 10lb big game mono and use about a rod lengths worth of 10lb floro for a leader. Works well for downrigging, flat lining and inline boards. Never broke off a fish this year( fish up to about 15lbs), long/lighter action rods and the stretch in the mono help absorb the shock

For the limited use of the recreational angler on a budget, I think the Magda's are a good option. I have 45's on 2 wire Dipsy rigs and they work great. If I was a charter captain and pounding on them everyday I can see that they could become an issue, but for limited outings a year IMHO you should be good to go.

Good point about the shock. If you use wire, make sure your leader is mono. If you pair wire and floro a nice fish will snap it due to a zero stretch factor.....Trust me...I learned the hard way ;(

I'm going to go for the Okuma combo and rig it with one of the 20lb super braid lines with the idea that it can be used with a dipsy or on the DR. I am thinking that I could use a spinning rod on the DR and the casting rod on the dipsey which would get two baits down.

Thanks for all the knowledge and insight you guys have shared.