pen rearing question.

rolmops

After helping one season with the pen rearing in the Genny,I was left with a question.

Having the pens in the marina for feeding purposes is obviously the right thing,but I am not sure if releasing the fish there is. I wonder whether dragging the pens into the river current and releasing the fish in the current allowing them to go straight into the lake might be better. I worry that, once released in the marina they instantly become walleye food.

Can anybody shine some light on this question?

Rolmops,

I help with both the Oswego and Sodus pen rearing projects. Both projects take the pens out into the lake to release the fish. This decreases the chance of the fish being gobbled up by cormorants, sea gulls and predator fish.

Jim

I can't speak to that specific location as I'm not aware of the Walleye density there. I will say that the single biggest reason holding pen programs got started in the St Joe river in Michigan was because of widespread predation of stocked Chinooks by Walleye. The founders of the program told me you could hear them slurping them up all night long for days after stocking.

I will never forget a day in the early 90's at Olcott harbor. The Chinook stocking had taken place mid morning at the boat ramp like it did back then. A few hours later approx 100 yards away across the harbor, some Captains and mates were partaking in a very common jig fishing contest( most afternoons in late May early June). Various panfish were caught, and a Pike or big "Sheepie" would take you for a 6lb test ride. One of the mates caught a bulging Rock bass. As he unhooked his prize, he noticed a fingerling Chinook in its mouth . After calling everyone over to see it, we could see it was gorged with these. The total tally upon examination of the Rockie was ELEVEN of our precious fingerling Chinooks, only a few hours after stocking. That harbor, as well as all the other Lake O stocking sites, has only become more populated with desireable and non desireable warm water species. The losses of direct stocked fingerlings is mind boggling.

The pen projects are the single biggest reason for the up tick in Chinook Salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, and all volunteers should be proud.

The Olcott Pens are released in the harbor. The tie straps are cut right at dusk, when predator activity is at it's lowest. Olcott doesn't really have a walleye population, and cormorants and other predators are less active then. The netting falls away letting the fish leave at their own rate. For the most part, they have smolted while in the pens and pretty much all of them are gone the next morning.

Tim

It's been talked about at the Genesee Charter Boat Association Meeting. I'm almost positive we release them at dusk, but with the Walleye population in the river that is the prime time for feeding eyes. We have our meetings on the first Tuesday of ever month at the Irondequoit Fish and Game club. Your welcome to come to our meetings and get questions like that answered.