1.) Don't worry about brand as much as I'd worry about getting one that's big enough. Go 32-40" wide if you can. Some brands include Beckman (although I thought I read somewhere that they were bought out) and Frabill. In my opinion, if you buy a net that's has too small of a hoop, you are going to wind up knocking off many of the big fish when you are trying to land them.

2.) Get one with a long handle - 5' minimum, and if you can find one that's longer or that telescopes, that's even better. If you find a net with a big enough hoop, you can always make your own homemade handle.

3.) It's nice to have a handle that breaks down (my Beckman and Frabill each have a small push button so the hoop can slide down the handle and I can store them in my cuddy.

Good luck,

- Chris

Last season I purchased a Ranger with 24" by 28" opening and it has 32" depth, plenty for the 25lbs and 28lbs kings we caught last season. The bigest reason for me buying a new net, was the lenght of the handle netting a big salmon in rough waters while working around the person on the pole, it's nice to have extra lenght, The Ranger I bought Is over 9ft from front of hoop to end of handle. The ranger also is hook free, if you have ever messed with hooks piercing through the net, this is a nice feature. Just my two cents, good luck.

My big net is a Ranger net, it has a very sturdy 7' handle and nice wide hoop. I got it a Dick's. I paid about 50 bucks.

A buddy of mine has a Beckman net. That thing is sweet, but they are deffinately more in price. But the guys that have them love them, and say they are well worth the extra money. Seems like those Beckman nets have water mains for handles, I think almost indestructable.

I did have a big Frabill net before. For the smaller, up to 10lb fish, it was fine. But the handle material just could not hold up to netting heavier fish, and after one season the the handle was shot. They use a lighter gage, round aluminum handle material.

To me the handle sturdiness, and durability, are just as important as the hoop size.

I have a Ranger similar to Jolly's that I'm very happy with: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11468996&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414811.4414947

LOU member "mostlymuskies" was able to offer special pricing to members on a couple models of Beckman nets and they're exceptional. I think this is the one I got: http://www.beckmannet.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74

I got my nets at Slippery Sinker. I thought they were Rangers, but I may be wrong. They are black with extendable net handle, and a really big hoop. I have used Beckmans, and to be honest I am not a fan. They are heavy, and I did not like how small the hoops are. I do, however, like how hooks wont stick in the netting.

I got my nets at Slippery Sinker. I thought they were Rangers, but I may be wrong. They are black with extendable net handle, and a really big hoop. I have used Beckmans, and to be honest I am not a fan. They are heavy, and I did not like how small the hoops are. I do, however, like how hooks wont stick in the netting.

I agree with Rich. The nets at Slippery Sinker are Cummings. I have one from there with a HUGE hoop and probably 10 feet of extending handle. Before that, I had a Ranger with a 12' handle and a 38x42" hoop until that was stolen. I also bought a Beckman Salmon Net last year and it was quickly relegated to 2nd net/backup duty as I like the Cummings net much more.

In particular I dislike the smooth round handle on the Beckman that make it difficult to extend the handle in the heat of battle and keep the locking pin lined up. all the other major net companies use octagonal handles that always stay lined up when you extend. The hook free netting is the ONLY advantage of the Beckman IMO.

Tim

Got mine at the Slippery sinker last year..I think it was a cummings like Tim said. It has a black octagon handle with long extension and big hoop. I like it alot better than the other net that blew out of my boat. As Tim said the octagon handle keeps the pin in line while extending. We didn't have much trouble with hooks sticking in the netting.

:yes: