best setup for two dipsy rods on Ontario

Use 30 lb 7 strand wire. I use torpedo wire smoky color.

Tie a quick snap ball bearing swivel to this.

Connect a #1 dispey to swivel.

Take 6 feet of 30lb fluoro carbon leader line + a spin doctor + 22" fluoro leader to a fly.

Or

Take 10 feet of fluoro leader to a spoon.

Try different colors but purple, orange and green are good bets.

Get yourself the Precision Trolling guide to figure out how much line to let out to get your dispey to the target depth. You want to be in 44 - 48 F water.

You want the size 1 dipsy, 30lb wire line - a 1000ft spool will fill a size 47 reels perfectly - gives you a more accurate reading with a full spool. Flasher/fly combos are a go to on the wire dipsy....green on green is a good color combo for me but the options are endless. I also like a black or clear dipsy, but again options and opinions are endless. Leads vary by preference also but a 6ft to 10ft lead is common...longer leads make it more difficult to net fish but sometimes draw more strikes. Snubbers are a matter of preference.

The Precision trolling book will give you approximate depths or you can run your dipsy out while leaving port and make notes of how much line is out when it bumps the bottom at various depths/speeds, the slower you troll the deeper it will dive with the same amount of line out. Or if you have a large budget you can buy a fishhawk td which will give you depth as well as temperature...others on the site have them and can give you a better idea of how the work.

Good luck.

I have a fish hawk td. The best thing to have if you don't have riggers with down speed and temp.

Drop it down to the bottom and raise it up, will tell you temperature of water ever 5 feet. Look for the 44-48F level and the use the precision trolling guide to determine how much wire out to get you to that depth.

heres a little reading that i found helpful when starting out...

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1026

watch your leader length between your fly and flasher. early in the year i start around 20" but by the end of the year last yers i had streached some out to almost 40" . 5 ft between diver and flasher.

tight lines to ya and calm waters

We did well last season with dipsys. I like the 30 lb 19 strand torpedo wire, easy on guides, especially if you don't have rollers or a twilly tip. My best setups were white glow with white crinkle spin doctor and white and green fly or little boy blue fly. The other was black dipsy with mountain dew spin doctor and green fly. I run 9' 6 " poles so I keep my over all lenght from dipsy to fly at 8' and 24" from flasher to fly. One good tip is when you make your first trip out go to deeper waters and let as much line out as you can, this will give you a nice tight consistent spool. Hope all this helps, good luck.

The diver setup that im using is an Okuma Classic Pro GLT (10' diver rods) with an Okuma Cold Water reel (any 30 series Okuma will work) loaded with 1000' of Blood Run wire. A large quality swivel tied on directly with a simple ovehand knot and absolutely never any crimps. A twilly tip is not absolutely necessary but highly recommended and I never use a snubber. Majority of the time I use Mag divers because they track tighter to the boat but there are times where standard size divers have their use. I keep my leader lengths are 8-10'. The precision trolling guide is a huge help with depths.

I just tie on one of the dreamweaver swivels that comes on a spin dr. Using the wire knot. Attach 0 size dipsey. Dial weight on dipsey to right or left on a 2.5 setting. I like (5-7 ft) of 30 lbs big game from the dipsey to another dreamweaver swivel. Has a little more stretch than floro. Will be more forgiving on a violent hit. Plus, it's cheap and you can tie a new one on every before every trip or so. Attach flasher/fly. Let out very slowly! Don't free spool. Just plop overboard and loosen drag so it clicks out. Set rod in holder till you get to desired distance. You will be surprised to see how many hits you get as it creeps out. Always keep tension on the wire to prevent pigtails.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

All the information the guys have posted is spot on. Just adding my two cents. For strength, i use the Diawa Heartland diver rods...just take a beating and never have an issue. As for flasher/flyies..... I love green nuclear, mtn dew glow/crush and white glow/crush...any of them with white, green, glow or blue flies. Those have been working the best for me.

Now what is critical is getting divers down to the fish. That is always the challenge because of speed, down currents and temps. Rule of thumb on a number 2.5 setting....about 1/3 of the line you have out, is your depth. So if you have 240 foot of line out on a standard dipsy, trolling around 2.5mpg sog, you can figure your around 80 foot down. Probably 70-80 foot on average. I run two divers most of the time and to keep them at different depths, I run one MAG dipsy on a number 1 setting, off one side of the boat..... and at that setting the depth is about 1/2" of the line out...so I will run 200-220 foot of line, to get the diver down to 100+ fow. Then off the other side of the boat i run a standard dipsy at 2.5 setting from 200-300 feet back. Again, how much line you let out, is going to depend on where the fish are, what depth your at....etc. Early in the spring/summer you might only have 90-120-165 foot of line out and in the summer you might put out 300+ foot of line. My key is running different size dipsy's off each side and occassionally I put on a small dipsy with a spoon over the top of the mag diver to cover that 40-60fow of water where some steelies and higher fish are hanging.

okay...that was more like 4cents...but you get the picture!

You want the size 1 dipsy, 30lb wire line - a 1000ft spool will fill a size 47 reels perfectly - gives you a more accurate reading with a full spool...........

As a newbie, I'm also setting up a couple of dipsy's

??I'm looking at these ( http://www.brettsplaceonthebay.com/2-pa ... ing-reels/ )

Would this reel be good for size for the 1000' spool??.....(the convector comes in 30 & 45 size)......Thanx ~WC~

I like the short 7' roller rods, They are so much easier to bring in the fish than the longer rods. I run the dipsies out to the side so the 7' rods clear the riggers just fine. Mine are Fish Dr. rods. :yes::yes: They are the first rods in the water when setting up. The reels are Diawis sg47lc with 1000' of 7 strand wire.

7 strand. :yes:

19 stand is very nice to work with and knot tying is awesome but... you will soon find out that single strands have a tendency to break with 19 and they become very tough to manage. Ive have seen them break everywhere including 300' into the spool. very tough to protect against.

7 strand. :yes:

19 stand is very nice to work with and knot tying is awesome but... you will soon find out that single strands have a tendency to break with 19 and they become very tough to manage. Ive have seen them break everywhere including 300' into the spool. very tough to protect against.

Now you tell me; I thought it was something we were doing wrong.

We have one with 19 strand wire and one with 7. No major issues with either but I have had to cut and retie the 19 a few times because of broken strands within a foot of the swivel. We've lost a couple hundred feet due to operator error and will replace with either Torpedo 7 smoke or Blood Run (on Captain Rob's recommendation).

One thing I noticed last summer with mag dipseys. If the currents are really bad, they don't seem to dig down into the water very well. A few times (when the fish were deep) I took them off and went back to the 00. Not sure if its the extra surface area or what.

One thing I noticed last summer with mag dipseys. If the currents are really bad, they don't seem to dig down into the water very well. A few times (when the fish were deep) I took them off and went back to the 00. Not sure if its the extra surface area or what.

How big are the 00 ones......I have a couple of size 1 (luhr jenson), maybe about 3.5 to 4" dia.....are those good to start?

Colin,

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but figured more questions will bring out more answers for both of us......

My first and only trip out to Lake O last summer was near Oswego

The local fishing just ain't been the same since..... :o

How big are the 00 ones......I have a couple of size 1 (luhr jenson), maybe about 3.5 to 4" dia.....are those good to start?

I could be wrong on the size. I prefer to run 1 size down from the mags, with a ring.