best setup for two dipsy rods on Ontario

yeah what bout time said, tie a regular arbor knot like you would for mono, but them put a wrap of electrical or duct tape over the knot and line to keep the wire from spinning on the spool. also true about winding it as tight as possible, but it still won't be tight enough, before you use it you need to head out to deep water and let all the wire out with a pound lead ball or tripped diver and reel it all back in under that tension to make sure it is tight on the spool. There's nothing worse than having a screaming king on and having the wire dig into the spool and bind up because the wire was loosely wound on the reel.

Tim

"...let all the wire out with a pound lead ball or tripped diver..." :lol:

No wonder! I rigged my first wire rod last season, as Tim describes, but I cranked the release down so the diver didn't trip, let it out to 950 and reeled it all back under tension. I hurt for a week! ;(

Not at all. I added a twilly tip to mine right at the start but even that's not needed if the wire doesn't start scoring the tip guide. Some guys swear by roller rods but I've never had the chance to try one.

"...let all the wire out with a pound lead ball or tripped diver..." :lol:

No wonder! I rigged my first wire rod last season, as Tim describes, but I cranked the release down so the diver didn't trip, let it out to 950 and reeled it all back under tension. I hurt for a week! ;(

I'll bet it was wound really tight :o

Yeah, I never claimed to be smart. That Convector's wound about as tight as possible - works great now that I can tell front & back, left & right on my divers. I messed them up about every way possible the first couple times.

Lol-I bet it is tight!! You shwing off the popeye forearms? I re-spooled one of my wire reels last year with one of those table-top line spoolers. I kept tension on the wire with an old tennis ball that I cut a slit in. Smelled like burned rubber in the house, but worked like a champ!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png