Gas tank cleaning?

tlr426

I am redoing the floor in my boat and would like to clean out the gas tank while i have it all part. I have never cleaned a tank before and any suggestions as to how to flush it out or wha products to use would be very helpful.

On an 18 foot Starcraft, we took out the screws holding the wooden deck cover. Removed the fuel level control and siphoned the fuel remaining gasoline out through the transom drain plug hole. A coat hanger with an old t shirts was swabbed around in the tank to remove the water and crud accumalated after twenty years.

Do this outdoors away from any buildings.

A better way is to replace all the fuel fill, vent and supply lines as they are old and brittle. Rubber deteriorates after seven years. Make sure the new lines are alcohol safe?? and have USCG Approvals on them.

First is to call your insurance agent and take out an extra $100,000 for your survivors.

I had some rust in the bottom of my outboard tank I had not used in years . My nephew told me to empty it good put a couple of cups of crushed stone w/some soapy water and drive around w/it in the back of my van for a while. Did it , drianed it good, cleaned it out w/ a shop vac,rinsed it well and let it dry & am still using it today.

One thing i did with the line is to run it above the floorboards. I encased the approved hose in a 3/4: pvc pipe and tucked it in along the bulkhead. Wanted to make sure no one could step on it and wanted to be able to change it easily if I ever smelled gas again.

Tom B.

(LongLine)