Okuma Solterra SLR50W

I am interested in picking up an Okuma Solterra SLR50W for a Copper for an 800 Copper. Seems like a decent reel, but price maybe to cheap to be quality. I don't want junk and already have Shimano Tekota 800 for a copper 500' so is this as good as a shimano? Anyone that Owns a Solterra SLR50W and used for copper let me know your opinion or a better optionfor a big copper. Thanks -Matt

I sold plenty last year, zero complaints

It has a very low gear ratio but the crank configuration makes up for it, a lot better than the Penn 345 set up

Highly recommended but beware it is a mammoth reel and the clicker is actually on the loud side

I also have several of them on my boat and my g/f and also my 17 year old daughter fought a fair share of kings on them, I cant say they liked it very much but they did it !!!

Tom

I sold plenty last year, zero complaints

It has a very low gear ratio but the crank configuration makes up for it, a lot better than the Penn 345 set up

Highly recommended but beware it is a mammoth reel and the clicker is actually on the loud side

I also have several of them on my boat and my g/f and also my 17 year old daughter fought a fair share of kings on them, I cant say they liked it very much but they did it !!!

Tom

"Mammoth" is a good word for those.

By the time you have the fish close, your happy, happy, happy.....

i used myn quite a bit last year and it reels nice! only thing i think is weird is how close the crank handle comes to the drag knob. myn auctually was rubbing on it every crank had to slightly bend handle but looked at others and they are all super close.

but as far as performance it did good drag is a little touchy easy to tighten it a lil too much.

and the weight of it broke my handle on my ugly stik!!

but other than those i dont have any real complaints it caught us a lot of fish and was nicer to reel in than the 345's having the big crank handle!

i got myn set up as 600' from a-tom-mik and the copper and everything worked good!