Need some wire help

I have been looking around the site for awhile and need some help. I am running out of time. I only have 8 months before I head back up to the big O for some Salmon and I don't know what to buy. I want to pull Dipsey’s with wire next year. I fish the lake 4-6 weeks in the fall. I would like to get two rods and reels, but don't know what to get. I would like to buy something good but I don't think I want to buy the best with only using them for a short tome each year. I would also like to try them in salt water for striper's. If anyone has any ideas on rods and reels please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Rick

Rick,

The Diawa Heartland/Accudepth plus combo, with the ADP47lc as the reel is probably the best value on the market for reasonably priced combo. You can put 1000' of wire on the reel with no backing and you will be all set. You should be able to have one complete setup for a little over $100.00. I have a couple of these and they are awesome setups, I will upgrade when I get my capts. license but for now they do just fine. Good Luck

Rich

I second what Rich has said.I have the SG47LC with a 1000 feet of 30 lb 7 strand mason wire on it.There is a site that you can go to that you can buy by the foot and get a good price on wire I think it is Mc Master something I'm sure someone can post a web site for you.I put some 30 lb braid backing on the spool before I put the 1000 feet on it will keep the wire from slipping if you get a fish that runs you all out.I also have 9'6 foot diawa heartland rods for 29.00.great rods I also put a twill tip on them you should be able to get a few seasons on the tips that are on them now but when you see them wearing down change them so they don't break your wire off.

Heartland Rods

http://www.marinegeneralcatalog.com/ind ... tail&p=563

Twill tips

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Twili_Tip.htm

I live in Mass and they use heavy 50 to 60 lb wire with Jigs to troll for Stripers.I'm not sure that the 30 lb would be strong enough when dragged over the bottom all the time.But What do I know :roll: I'm still in my learning stage after 30 years of trying to catch 40 lb Plus ;) Good luck in your Quest.Make sure you have strong rod holder on the boat they put alot of pull with 300feet of wire out.

PS the picture in my post is the set up I talk about :D

Rick,

The sealine 47s are great reels. Backer under the wire will help the drag a lot. Without backer 1000' of wire only fills the reel a little over half, so your drags will have more strain on them. Your counters will also be more accurate with a full spool.

Rick,

The sealine 47s are great reels. Backer under the wire will help the drag a lot. Without backer 1000' of wire only fills the reel a little over half, so your drags will have more strain on them. Your counters will also be more accurate with a full spool.

Not on the three SG47LCA's on my boat it doesn't. 1000' of wire fills them up perfectly.

Tim

The 1000' 30lb wire fills the 47 bodies without the use of a backing. I am not sure which reels you are talking about, unless you are using 20lb wire, which has a smaller diameter.

As far as the roller rod, you really do not need the roller rod, just replace the tip top with a Twilli Tip and you are golden for years to come. I have a Diawa dipsey rod that I have had for over 6 years with just a Twilli tip and the rest of the guides are just fine. Good Luck.

Rich

I have four wire combo's. They all have Shakespeare T20LCL's that hold 1000' of 30# wire no problem- (no backer) and the spools are filled just right. The reels are about $45 each.

As far as rods I have two different types:

2- Shakespeare BWDD 10' 1100 (12-30#) Dipsey Diver rods (you need to put the twilly on them). These rods are about $65 + the twilly.

2- Okuma Blue Diamond 10' BD-T-1002M (12-30#) Wire Special rods (the first guide has a roller and the tip already has a twilly installed. These rods are $69 with the twilly.

The Okuma's feel a bit stiffer and you don't have to hassle with putting the twilly on.

You don't need a roller guide rod, the Daiwa Heartland Dipsy rods (mid $30's) plus a twilliw tip are all you need. I've got 2 Heartland wire diver rods that have gone through 6 seasons with just a twilli tip and they are as good as new.

Tim

I got a full two seasons out of my Heartland rods without twilli tips. Given that you're only fishing the lake a few times each year, you ought to be able to get several years out of the top guide on the rod before it needs replacing.

And the Daiwa Accudepth ADP47LC is a great reel for the money. I ran two of them with wire all season long last year and they held up beautifully. 1000' of 30# wire fits on both the ADP47 and the SG47 perfectly. No room for (or need for) any backing material.

diesal, I have bought several of my Daiwa Heartland / Daiwa SG47lca combos thru Fish USA. They're having a sale on them now but, it ends today! Here's a link: http://www.fishusa.com/Daiwa-Heartland-Trolling-Combo-with-Sealine-SG47LCA-Reel_p.html?i=118F926926254CE585700A536AD17617. Accudepths are also on sale and free shipping on orders over $100 which also ends today.