Outboard size for a glastron hp154

jcar585

Hi everyone, any advice would be appreciated. Plan on buying a used outboard for my hp154 and trying to figure out the minimum horsepower i can get away with. Boat is 700lbs, plate has max hp at 100. I was looking at a 95 40hp but was told by the salesman that it would be underpowered. I dont care about fast speeds but I don't want to cause damage to a motor either. Any input would be great .. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Gez. That's what i've heard also. It's hard to find a reliable used outboard, that's why i was hoping the 40hp would be enough. What would be the biggest problem if i went that low? The boat is so small i'm surprised about the 100 hp max to begin with.

mail.jpg

I don't believe it would damage the motor, probly the biggest problem would be getting the boat on plane, it would have to run near wot probly all the time, depends on weight of boat, fuel load, passengers, and gear. If your not traveling far, and don't care about speed, you should be ok. If your getting a super deal on the motor may be worth a shot. again just my 2 cents.

Propeller size would make things work. A lower pitch will get the RPM's up. You need maximum RPM's to not overload your engine and cruise about eight mph for fuel economy. If that is too slow for you, then a new boat is needed.

A good choice for your boat would be an Evinrude/Johnson 70. Be sure to check the following..make sure the transom is not rotted or waterlogged, when water testing your new set up, make sure your WOT rpm is at the top end specified or you will not reach maximum performance,if your boat has a built in fuel tank,check for water and be sureyou have a fuel fuel- water separator in line to grab any that develops. Before you buy the motor, check the compression..should be 115 to 125 psi per cylinder. If the motor has original VRO, strongly suggest disconnecting and run 50:1 mix and always use an ethanol fuel treatment. Good luck!!