ice fishing

zoom55

ZOOM55 :Right now the ice is a real question mark in many of the popular places because of the bizarre thaw last week. Even the best places should be approached with caution right now. When ice reintegrates from a thaw it is usually irregular in thickness and dangerous. I would say that right now wait until you see other folks out there with their tents and huts before venturing forth yourself. Honeoye Lake may be ready in the next few days especially at the south end. Conesus is being fished right now at Lakeville (5 huts today on the webcam at least).

A little bit of advice from an "old timer": :o

1) Never go by yourself, if possible go with someone experienced first couple times till you get the hang of it....it really is a "specialized" type of fishing and its not for everyone :D Stay away from creeks, streams or rivers entering the lake. Stay far away from ANY open water or "bubble-ups or bubblers around docks even if it looks like a small spot. Never go anywhere near the edge of ice where it meets open water no matter how tempting. Ice is almost always weak around docks or posts in the water.

2)carry a spud (to check the thickness of the ice with and possibly to straddle the hole if you go in),

3) carry a pair if "ice handles" (e.g. two 4 or 5 inch pieces of broomstick sections with nail spikes in the ends of them - cut off the nail heads and file them to a point and tie them together at the other ends with a few feet of parachute cord so if you go in you can crawl out with them),

4) let people know exactly where you are going when you start out

5 go to FAMILIAR places at first until you get some experience. Watch the other fishermen to pick up tips. BS with them and let them know you are just starting and the good ones may feel comfortable sharing at least some of the basics. We can be a "secretive" lot at times. Only believe half of what you hear as far as their stories go :lol: Especially regarding the size of the :D fish

6) Until you are VERY experienced make sure the ice is at least 4 inches thick of good hard ice (test a number of places because it can vary even just a few feet away...carry a rule or tape measure with you in your gear to make sure).

7) Dress in layers and warmer than you think you might need to be especially your feet and head

8) Try to fish with your back to the prevailing wind. You'll stay warmer and be able to see your line move better when the fish bite.

9) When it becomes very warm especially toward the end of the season always keep watch of the shoreline as sometimes it melts near shore and you will be wet going home.

10) Until there are good solid ice conditions (e.g. 6 or 8 inches or so) don't be too anxious to go near groups of folks because if the ice is thin someplace everyone could go through some folks never think about it.... :o

These are VERY BASIC things other guys here may want to pipe in to fill in the blanks -

Best of luck!

I was out on Honeoye today and although there is good hard ice of 3 to 3 1/2inches out from Trident Marine the area right at the ramp at the edge of the lake has a bubbler which sends currents under the ice so care needs to be exercised there in getting out there. It was a bit slushy on top tonight in that area when we came in. I stayed within 12 ft of water on the east side and there were some folks out further and they reported spots where there was only 2 inches of ice out towards the middle. It was open water last week there. The ice is too thin to go way south to where the good perch fishing is (toward the middle of the lake across from California Ranch etc.). I didn't go to the south end so I don't have a handle on conditions there. I saw a few guys north of me out from Sandy Bottom but didn't talk with them so details are unknown. As far as the fishing goes I was after big gills and only caught a few of them and had to work VERY hard for each one as most fish came up to the jig/bait and looked at it and went back down or away. Multiple jig changes and variety of bait didn't change that. The other guys I spoke with all reported the same thing (8 people). I caught some small ones that were returned but the few large ones came on very small jigs and during a short period right before dark (the bite). P.S. I wear a "float suit" ;)

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Fished Honeoye today (all day) from Trident marine. Be advised it is no longer possible to walk out there from Trident as of tonight . The ice near shore has been severely compromised (all broken up) by the bubbler near there and although there is about 5 inches out away from shore there is now no way to get to it from that location....today was it for the ice fishing for this season for me.