ROD HOLDER FOR DIPSY RODS

new to salmon fishing and i am setting up two dipsy rods they 9'6" rods. looking for a holder that will fit my boat. i have a ss railing around my gunnel walls . was wondering your thoughts on getting cannon holders for the rail. would everything hold up well. any help would be greatly apprecitive. matt

They dipsys won't work on rail mounted holders. You need something really stout for dipsys I found that out the hard way (almost lost my rod into the lake) I am running them in gunnel mounts or my extra downrigger holders.

I have the flush mount rocket launcher style by Scotty and they work well for me. With the flush mount the holders can be pulled and you still have the flat surface of the gunnel for family boat rides etc...

BERTS BERTS BERTS!!!!! Ratching Berts are the best! Easy for getting your rod out when a fish is going the other way. They go into a tracking system like you are looking for! They are a little pricey but they are worth every penny, you will not regret.

You have a bunch on money tied up in a dipsie outfit. There is no streach to the wire. When a King hits the Flasher and fly its a massive hit to the rod , reel and the holder. A rod holder that can't take the hit will twist or break and away sinks you outfit ;( Get the best and heavest that you can afford, or it will cost you more in the long run!!

I used to be a bert's guy but after using the cannon dual action adjustable's I switched the whole boat to them. They will turn 360 deg . Berts don't. The cannons are about $10 more a piece for the singles. I have 2 doubles that go on your rigger bases that I got for $150 each. Though they normally are $225 min. I got lucky on Amazon one day!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Strength is needed or you will loose your rods.

When I made my rocket launcher system I added 2 bird-tree rod holders, on each side and then actually added one more, for when I frog around with the outriggers.

2" diameter, 1/8" wall Alcoa tubing does the trick.

BERTS BERTS BERTS!!!!! Ratching Berts are the best! Easy for getting your rod out when a fish is going the other way. They go into a tracking system like you are looking for! They are a little pricey but they are worth every penny, you will not regret.

Decided to go with these for the boat i just purchased. Fishing on your boat with them made the decision easy.

Does anyone have any feedback or opinions on these? How would they holdup up with a mag dipsy and a 30ld king hammering img-rh03360.jpgit?                                                                                             

Edited by angle0826

I run the Big Jon Multiset rod holders.  I have used the Cannons, and the Berts and they are both awesome rod holders.  The Big Jons, Cannons and Bert's are all quality rod holders and will hold up to anything Lake Ontario will throw at them.  Buy what ever you can afford out of these three and you will be happy.  My suggestion would be to stay away from cheaper rod holders and plastic rod holders.  You do not want a $200.00 wire combo in a $20.00 rod holder.  You will lose at some point.  As for the tracks, I would do the same as Vince suggested. 

I have to tip my hat off to Bert's. I have been using them on my charters for as long as I can remember. In fact, I've had them on both of my charter boats. They are user friendly, especially for the kids. A youngster can grab the rod and pull it to a vertical position with ease. It is so much easier to get the rod out of the holder when the rod holder is vertical. Another real important consideration is that Bert's stand behind there products 100%. They have replaced rod holders for me that have taking a beating from years of dipsey and king salmon abuse with no questions asked, free of charge. I like it when I can by one product and never have to worry about having to buy it again.