ROD HOLDER FOR DIPSY RODS

• 3 months later...

I currently have 2 tite locks for dipseys that came on my islander. I want to replace them with a more rugged rod holder. I am not going to get the track system. I also want to basically replace now holder over the existing holes of the Tite Loks..They dont have to go into the same holes just want to cover them. Any thoughts as to Big Jon multi set rod holder? Would they be strong enough for the dipsey? I see they have heavy duty too. I havent heard if Berts come with bases or it is just a track system?

Edited by Adk1

I have 10 Stainless Perkos (among others) on my boat 6 of them on the front ss railing and I even run my 15 ft. outriggers off them without any problems. They are rail mounted so no holes to drill can be moved or positioned using small wrench. Can take them off the boat if you sell it ....without holes etc.

Edited by Sk8man

I have 10 Stainless Perkos (among others) on my boat 6 of them on the front ss railing and I even run my 15 ft. outriggers off them without any problems. They are rail mounted so no holes to drill can be moved or positioned using small wrench. Can take them off the boat if you sell it ....without holes etc.

I used those on my old boat off the rail and they worked just fine for dipsys.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I currently have 2 tite locks for dipseys that came on my islander. I want to replace them with a more rugged rod holder. I am not going to get the track system. I also want to basically replace now holder over the existing holes of the Tite Loks..They dont have to go into the same holes just want to cover them. Any thoughts as to Big Jon multi set rod holder? Would they be strong enough for the dipsey? I see they have heavy duty too. I havent heard if Berts come with bases or it is just a track system?

I changed over to big jon's dipsie holders .  bolted them through the gunnel where the titelocks were.

I run the Big Jon Multiset rod holders. I have used the Cannons, and the Berts and they are both awesome rod holders. The Big Jons, Cannons and Bert's are all quality rod holders and will hold up to anything Lake Ontario will throw at them. Buy what ever you can afford out of these three and you will be happy. My suggestion would be to stay away from cheaper rod holders and plastic rod holders. You do not want a $200.00 wire combo in a $20.00 rod holder. You will lose at some point. As for the tracks, I would do the same as Vince suggested.

Totally agree. I struggled with Tite-lok's for two seasons then saved up to get a set of the double Big Jon's. One of the best moves I ever made. I'll run double wire dipseys off each side of the boat with them without any worries.

Thanks for the feedback! that is what I will do! Are you using the standard big jons multi sets or the heavy duty?

Edited by Adk1

Thanks for the feedback! that is what I will do! Are you using the standard big jons multi sets or the heavy duty?

I have both, I have a singe heavy duty and a double multi set on each gunwale.  Both are plenty heavy duty for diver duty.

100_4712.jpg

Tim

Perfect thanks! that is the same location as my existing Tite Lok is located on either side of the boat. I will just replace them with the single multilocks. I only plan on running a single dipsey off either side as it is.

I love my Bert's ratchet rod holders. When a fish is on, you just grab the rod, pull it back towards you until it's vertical and then remove it from the holder. This is much easier than trying to remove it in an outboard motion.

Edited by Trout Bum

I use four of the Big John heavy duty singles, they have to be 30+ years old, they're indestructible, never a failure or lost rod. Having said that, if I was starting out today I would go with the Cisco brand over the Berts and Cannons (I've used all three on friends boats).

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/cradle-rod-holders-(dipsy)-5259

To me, the big difference between the Ciscos and the Berts/Cannons is the ability to tilt the ROD up, not the ROD HOLDER. They are designed for maximum fishability while the rod is deployed. However, they are not as convenient to use if you need a double-duty rod holder (for both fishing and a place to keep the rod while you're running in and out under power). if you have lots of extra rodholders to store rods while you run in and out, the Cisco are ideal, but for most people that need a double-duty rod holder, then Capt. Vince's recommendation is spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Big Jon dipsy rod holders for 20+ years never a problem, rod will break before you can move the rod holder

Are these the ratcheting multi sets? That is what I am looking into

i have these and i love them http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com

5128-img-0-full.png

Part Number: RHLCR

The long cradle was originally designed for charter boats but has been adopted by many fishermen with a smaller size deck.  The unit was engineered to allow the reel to be held further up the cradle keeping more of the rod handle out of the boat.  There is a security ring at the end of the cradle which can be quickly engaged/disengaged.

Charter captains use of the long cradle allows for comfort and freedom for their customers to move around the deck. 

This product is great for pulling dipsy's and trolling with Muskie lu

I have 2 that I plan on mounting to my boat for dipsys.  Not quite sure where but I will find somewhere. I have too many options right now.  I have the vertical Great lakes planers and plan to add 2 low angle rod holders for dipsys.  I love being able to set these rods out to the side to get them out of the boat.

I have 2 that I plan on mounting to my boat for dipsys.  Not quite sure where but I will find somewhere. I have too many options right now.  I have the vertical Great lakes planers and plan to add 2 low angle rod holders for dipsys.  I love being able to set these rods out to the side to get them out of the boat.

You have two of the Anglers Pal holders?

Ya and 2 of the vertical GLP.

You can see where I mounted the trees (vertical aluminum tubes about the middle of the boat), they work great for early browns, walleye, and downriggers.

20130421_124234_zps609b448e.jpg