Various rants from some cabin fever victims

The striped Smithwick was our best stick also followed by the silver side black top orange bottom Smithwick.  Our best spoons were chartuse Alpena Diamond and MS Coyote.

Good luck!

GG

Edited by DoubleG

Net,

I was running the stingers off the riggers 5-8 ft down on leads of 50-75 feet or so. But like mentioned above a split shot a few feet ahead will work well off the boards. I also picked up a bunch of those spring kings on stingers that were around last year!

I really want to do some browns this spring,also doing some research on this blood run copper,seems that is the way to go,I personally never used it and that might be some of my problems, NEW to this type fishing, anyway, can you run short leads of copper in the spring? seems to me that it doesn't take much to get down 5-8ft with no other weights, for the walleyes I ran OFF SHORE snap weights and that worked good. I have all of the Precision Trolling books and the big water edition has alot about wire and lead core and all the different dipsy with the dive curve and it's a no wonder why you guys run the copper line.One other question does the blood run copper run deeper than the (just reads #30 wire) in the Precision Trolling book. It's nice that you guys say what works best for you, I fish the Henderson Harbor area, Black River basin, Chaumont bay area, are those lures a general rule of thumb or do certain baits work for say your area, Yankee Troller is out west if I'm correct and says (this) lure works for him, would that same lure,spoon,ect. work per say Oswago or Henderson area, I know that what works one don't the next, that being said (is it a, your area lure works here and not there situation) THANKS for any input, as maybe these questions are rediculous PAP

You wont need more than a few colors of lead to chase BTs in the Spring. And that's if you go over 15' of water looking for them.

IMHO if you aren't fishing tourneys, chartering, or plan on taking fish home with you I wouldn't suggest Copper line to you. It's no fun fighting fish on it, and the longer lengths 400+ often kills smaller fish when they get hooked on it because they get dragged through he water for extended periods of time during the fight.

30lb wire and copper are two different animals. Go on a charter and have the captain explain all of this to you. Seeing it generally works better for me than reading it on the internet or in a magazine.

you really mean to tell me that a spoon or a stick that works out west will not work in oswego?

come on now

very different water on one end of the lake to the other and colors and patterns absolutely DO make a difference..  It is very well established, for example, that flasher/fly combos that kick ass on the east end can't buy a fish out west and vice verse.

But seriously I thought you were saying that patterns and brands/styles have no relevence, which is preposterous.  For instance, there is a world of difference between where, when, how and under what conditions to run say, an orange/gold J7 Rapala, and a 4" silver/blue Smithwick.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Thanks Yankee Troller, I've been successfull with the riggers, set a 5ft&8ft with 50 to 75 feet of line back,I used alewive, soduspoint orange chickenwing in the michigan stinger spoon with success, this year I added planer board setup for the big boards which I have but never used, this year we will, see what kind of knots I can get myself into, give it a wirrel see what happens, will try the stick bait methood also. One other thing!! where did Fat Nancy move to? They seem to have the scoop on everything!

I'd think regional water clarity, light levels, bait type & size would cause differences between what works best at any given location, day and time. That said, I think personal experience is more valuable that knowing exactly what another fisherman prefers. Differences between boats and equipment will change how anything runs slightly.

very different water on one end of the lake to the other and colors and patterns absolutely DO make a difference..  It is very well established, for example, that flasher/fly combos that kick ass on the east end can't buy a fish out west and vice verse.

But seriously I thought you were saying that patterns and brands/styles have no relevence, which is preposterous.  For instance, there is a world of difference between where, when, how and under what conditions to run say, an orange/gold J7 Rapala, and a 4" silver/blue Smithwick.

Tim

Water condition is different than where on the lake

Dirty water and clear water have you must use presentation

What I am saying is that is a silver jointed rapala works on the west end then it works on the east end then it works on Cayuga

There is no rapalas on the west end Smithwicks on the east side type thing going on