Trolling Plates

DoubleG

I had one on a 17' crestliner with a 50 HP it worked fine for trolling however it kept the bow down at higher speeds. So if you can adjust the trim it will work on mine I didn't have that function. 

I had a 17 1/2 ft Starcraft with a 90 merc.

Tried a couple different ones and ended up with the Happy troller with the hinged plate.

Took care of all my trolling speed issues especially trolling with a stiff wind.

Bad news is more fuel consumption because you have to keep your rpms up but worth it.

The hinged plate allows you to avoid damge when you take off and forget to put the plate up.

You will realize it's down before you break anything.

Good luck

Glen

I had a happy troller on my 18 foot sylvan with 75 horse merc and hated it.It shortened my trolling time because of increased fuel usage (I had a 20 gallon fuel tank). I started using a 9.5 kicker instead and fuel expenses went way down per trip and on top of that, the extra engine gives increased safety.

The Pro Troller looks really cool and I like the idea of getting on plane faster and it stops porpoising but I'm not sure if I would be able to reach them to use them.

I can't use a kicker on my transom so that won't work.

I use 2 large bags now, how much worse would the gas consumption be with a plate?

The Pro Troller looks really cool and I like the idea of getting on plane faster and it stops porpoising but I'm not sure if I would be able to reach them to use them.

I can't use a kicker on my transom so that won't work.

I use 2 large bags now, how much worse would the gas consumption be with a plate?

I don't think you will use much more fuel with a plate than you use with two bags.

I couldnt go slow enough before i started pulling big boards. I use to hang a 5 gallon bucket over each side 3/4 of the way up the boat off of the cleats. I drilled a lot of 5/8" holes in the bottoms and up the sides half way. Works great for cheap. I've seen a lot of charters do it. I've heard a lot of complaints about bags plus they are pricey. My big boards actually slow my boat down at least half a MPH...

I ended up going with the Pro Troller Smart Tabs.  Even if I don't like them for trolling and have to go back to the bags at least I can still use them as trim tabs.  Once I get a chance to run the boat with them I will post a review.  Thanks for everyone's input!!

Pro Troller

http://www.nauticusi...ro_troller.html

Edited by DoubleG

I had the hinged Happy Troller and lost a lot at the top end and I thought it was much slower to get up on plane and eventually took it off.