Anyone else go for the Okuma Coldwater Linecounter?

MarkNY

Got some new gear recently and decided to try 4 coldwater 30 reels. Anyone else try them? Read that they had a little trouble with the counters in trials but hopefully they worked that out. Seems like the okuma 30 size is similar to the daiwa 47 size? plan on running wire on two of them and hope that 1000' of wire fills spool. seems like a nice reel, time will tell. mark

i am going to pick a  couple  up for diver rods.    

my uncle   is  going to try a couple out as well.   

they read good,  should be a pretty descent reel,  have a good drag system with a ratcheting  drag  in them too!   as well as a nice price and good looks  so we will see how they  hold up!   

Last year I bought a couple Okuma Clarion's and liked them.  I'm   thinking of buying 2 of these to use for dipsy's.  The price is better than the Clarion's and a step up from the Convector, as far as looks go anyway. I'll be looking at them at the Okuma booth at the show this weekend.

Just bought one of the CW-303D from overstock.com.  93 bucks delivered.

I love the Convector CV-30D as a wire dipsy reel and wanted to give this new reel a try.

Will let you know how it goes in the spring...

JAM

MarkNY - If they are the same size as the new 47 Daiwa LIne Counters (i.e.the spool setup) they should hold 1000 ft of 30 pound wire plus  a moderate amount of braid or mono for backing. Check the line capacities of both and compare. I put it on my new Daiwas without any problem.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new gear recently and decided to try 4 coldwater 30 reels. Anyone else try them? Read that they had a little trouble with the counters in trials but hopefully they worked that out. Seems like the okuma 30 size is similar to the daiwa 47 size? plan on running wire on two of them and hope that 1000' of wire fills spool. seems like a nice reel, time will tell. mark

Yes, Okuma 30s are comparable in size to Daiwa 47s 

Yes, a 1000' spool will fill those reels

I ordered a bunch of these myself for the boat this year. At first it was to replace the Convectors I was using for divers and now I also have some coming for rigger rods too. I plan on fishing them next to the Convectors for comparison and If they work out then maybe ill upgrade all of them.

Friend got them. Been using all winter. The drags are sticky at first. The counters are off. Everytime you let them out, it does not return to zero. Will stop around 50-75 on one and 40 on the other... Not sure why, but he just resets and lets her back out...

Nick

Sounds like i'll wait for everyone else to trial run them before buying a bunch!! I never like to buy something untill the public gets a chance to beet it up! Love my Convectors anyway :inlove:

I have herd that the Coldwater reels are essentially the same reel (gears/drag/inner compenents) as the Convectors, the only difference is the pretty facelift

Can anyone confirm?

I am by the way a satisified owner of a full fleet of various sized Convectors

• 2 months later...

After the first few trips using the CW-303D, I would have to say I'm not feeling like it is an 'upgrade' to the Convector. The drag does not seem as smooth (although it hasn't really been 'burned in' with a true screamer out to 700' yet...), and the main issue is the clutch lever doesn't always stay engaged when you click it forward.

Not impressed so far.

I like my old Convectors better at this point, but I'll keep giving the new Coldwater it's time in the rod holder...

JAM

I'm not too impressed with mine either. Granted ive only fished them a handful of times and for lake trout. Setting the drag to creep out on a wire dispy i have to give it some help for the first 20-30' and ive also noticed a little issue with the gear lever like mentioned above. I also have some brand new convectors on my rigger rods and am very happy with them. best, mark