Repairing Transom Holes

Rippin'Line

Im repairing some holes in my transom that havent been sealed properly before i bought the boat and was hoping to get some answers to how you guys do this. I read some answers on google and boat forums about drilling the hole one size bigger and filling it with epoxy then putting another screw in to help seal it. You guys have any other ways of doing this? 

There are a lot of ways to do it.

I had a lot of small holes of various fish finders and such. Enough to cause some leakage and transom rot.(this was at the bottom end of the transom)

My solution was  buying a piece of aluminum 3/4 thick by 6 by by 12 and putting lots of m5000 goop on one side and next covering all the holes with this one piece of aluminum and bolting it onto the transom.

All the holes were covered and gone and on top of that,instead of drilling new holes into the transom, I now screw stuff into the aluminum.

On my old Baha I plugged some holes by drilling the hole out to good wood then using some marine epoxy and a wooden dowel just smaller than the drilled hole. Sand the epoxy after it set and paint  As aiways, having a beer or two makes the job go smoother.

buy some wood dowels larger than the hole to be repaired. drill the hole to the dowel size then pack the hole with marine epoxy,coat the dowel with the same epoxy,tap it in and coat both sides with more epoxy. works good. a couple bourbons makes it easier than a couple beers.

After you get the holes repaired, do yourself a favor and attach a plate over them to accomodate new ducers like Rolmops said. Products are available online or at marine stores to do this with. New holes go into this product and never penetrate your transom. You will be happy!