otter boat keels

bandrus1

If you want to put on a second set,you have to order them from Big Jon. I got mine last summer for roughly $110 including shipping.

Big Jon are the only people who sell the keels that have a half weight. This is very important because 2 full weight keels will make the otter boat sink when going slow In turns or when the line breaks.

The only people selling the half weights are Big Jon at their central store. With 2 boards you can run 2 coppers on each side.

Cornelis.

I have seen where some guys have added a piece of sheet metal to the original keel to increase surface area, so they pull harder without adding weight.  Has anyone here tried this?  From the pics I saw it looked like bolt it on, and away you go.   I'm going to try that first.  Also considering trying the TX 44's instead. 

Wow, $110 or even $70 :o .I bought mine from Big Jon around 2007 and I know they weren't that much. I think more like $30 for a pair. Mine came with the same weight that were on the boats. I soon found out that on a turn the inside board would sink. I simply removed the weight on the second keel and have been running them that way since. They pull my coppers great. For the price of them now and what they are, I would def make my own. Some 10 gauge metal, find someone with a brake and you are set. Check the scrap yards. One that I go to has tons of clean plate like that in their yard.

You could sell the OB's and get the vastly superior Amish Outfitter redwood or plastic boards which pull incredibly hard right out out of the box without need for modification to run properly, and are collapsible.

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

You could sell the OB's and get the vastly superior Amish Outfitter redwood or plastic boards which pull incredibly hard right out out of the box without need for modification to run properly, and are collapsible.

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

Tim

they sound nice but im not to fond of this

The boat must be in neutral to retrieve the boards.

they sound nice but im not to fond of this

The boat must be in neutral to retrieve the boards.

I believe that was for the plastic boards.  I have the redwood boards and it's not necessary, but I DO have Cicso Electric Planer Reels.  I was able to reel them in with manual reels with the boat at idle before I bought the motors and upraded, not fun, but doable.  You'll get that with really good, quality, hard pulling boards. 

I just cant see the reason for the popularity of the OB,s which are more expensive than the Amish Outfitter boards and that you have to modify the crap out of to get them to run right.

I believe that was for the plastic boards.  I have the redwood boards and it's not necessary, but I DO have Cicso Electric Planer Reels.  I was able to reel them in with manual reels with the boat at idle before I bought the motors and upraded, not fun, but doable.  You'll get that with really good, quality, hard pulling boards. 

I just cant see the reason for the popularity of the OB,s which are more expensive than the Amish Outfitter boards and that you have to modify the crap out of to get them to run right.

I hear ya...... I have a bow mounted mast and for something that is described as pulling that hard it may rip the mast right off

I run mine off the hardtop, with the reels and motors mounted to the rocket launcher and the front pullys mounted to the front of the port and starboard grab rails on the top of the HT.  I sometimes wonder if these boards are going to rip those grab rails off. but that would take some major lateral pressure from the angle they are pulling when deployed.  so far so good :)

I run mine off the hardtop, with the reels and motors mounted to the rocket launcher and the front pullys mounted to the front of the port and starboard grab rails on the top of the HT.  I sometimes wonder if these boards are going to rip those grab rails off. but that would take some major lateral pressure from the angle they are pulling when deployed.  so far so good :)

Yea I am sure they are fine there.. I just have a 19 footer with a bow mounted mast... Dont think it would hold up to that kind of pull

I have used a set of old Cannon collapsible planer boards, I made a homemade set 10 years ago using cedar and now I own a set of Otters. The Otter boards came out long before guys started pulling heavier copper lines with them and I presume Big Jon started offering the extra half-keel weight a few years ago to help with the pull after their customers asked for something better. Is it ridiculous to charge extra for components to make them "run right"? Perhaps..... but at least they offer something. As far as purchase, I bought the extra keel weights last year directly from Big Jon. It will take you about ten minutes to install.

As far as Otter Boat popularity - I think they track awesome even in big waves and they "hop" the waves instead of digging like my experience with my homemade boards and Cannon's which seemed to ride low to the water and dig into the waves more. 

I'm not sure if the Amish boards are $179.00 for a set or for just one, but they certainly look well made.

Good luck,

- Chris