otter boat keels

bandrus1

Tim, you and I can agree to disagree on this one.  I would pay double what I paid for my otter boats and still not think I paid too much.  Yes, they NEED modifying.  Yes, they store like crap.  So much of the way I run my programs would not be possible with standard collapsable or even inline boards.  I can count on my hand the number of calm days on Lake O per year.  I have my otters out from splash down in March (god willing) til I put her to bed for the season in October EVERY time out on the water.

A-TOM-MIK is now manufacturing our own upgrades for 1/2 weight keels for otter boats, Our price is $59.95 per set of 2

I have to admit my total cost for this project is pushing $2000, once I add in FET and consider the fact I may be shipping them free as 72% of my online orders are over $150/free shipping

Leaves my profit at about $12 per set after taxes (God I love the profits in the fishing business :headbang: )

1 aluminum Keel including all cuts, bends, holes & counter sinks, then powder coated 14.82 (if I purchase 100, 16.98 if I purchase 50)

Weight  including cuts, taps, miters, powder coated 2.81

Stainless hardware, nuts, bolts, washer, rope .58

need 2 per set

total: 36.42

FET 6.00

Total cost per set $42.42

(added in the 33% our good ole Uncle gets out of me in the end)

$17.53 -33%

(Under a $12 profit)

But it is a go and I will have them in hand in 2 weeks, I sold plenty last season so I hope I sell plenty more this season

:rofl:

Tom

Edited by A-TOM-MIK

A-TOM-MIK is now manufacturing our own upgrades for 1/2 weight keels for otter boats, Our price is $59.95 per set of 2

I have to admit my total cost for this project is pushing $2000, once I add in FET and consider the fact I may be shipping them free as 72% of my online orders are over $150/free shipping

Leaves my profit at about $12 per set after taxes (God I love the profits in the fishing business :headbang: )

1 aluminum Keel including all cuts, bends, holes & counter sinks, then powder coated 14.82 (if I purchase 100, 16.98 if I purchase 50)

Weight  including cuts, taps, miters, powder coated 2.81

Stainless hardware, nuts, bolts, washer, rope .58

need 2 per set

total: 36.42

FET 6.00

Total cost per set $42.42

(added in the 33% our good ole Uncle gets out of me in the end)

$17.53 -33%

(Under a $12 profit)

But it is a go and I will have them in hand in 2 weeks, I sold plenty last season so I hope I sell plenty more this season

:rofl:

Tom

You cant receive pm's I want a set

Is it necessary to install the extra keel if you are only pulling ONE cooper line? Thanks.

It depends on what length your talking. 1 keel will handle a 600 copper, but two makes it run out to the side better with a 600 copper. If your only running cores and shorter coppers 1 keel will suit you just fine.

You could sell the OB's and get the vastly superior Amish Outfitter redwood or plastic boards which pull incredibly hard right out out of the box without need for modification to run properly, and are collapsible.

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=19

Tim

Agree 100%.  The Otters are nice for light loading close in but if you're going to run 4 lines out 150'+ you can't beat the highly visible Amish boards.

The extra keel sounds great Tom, maybe I found a use for my $100 gift certificate....so add that into your equation :lol:

Guess I am in the minority, but I have really drifted away from my otter boats in favor of the Church TX-44.  I use my otters from time to time, esp. on my 600 copper, but I would never even consider fishing without my Inline boards.  Everything has an upside and a downside, and the tx-44 is no exception, but In the end my landing percentage on my copper is higher with the inline boards than on the otter so that's what we run more and more.  Many days I will run my otter on one side and Church inlines on the other side. I never run two Otters anymore.

FWIW... I had Otter boats with a single keel they rode waves great but lagged back more than I liked.  Upgraded them with BJ's dual keels...performed better but still lagged more than I wanted when loaded up with 4-5 heavy pulling sets.  

Tried a set of poly AO boards...sold my dual keel Otters the next day.... 

The AO poly's are heavy and ride low in water, so you will want to add "flags" to help with visibility.  They also pull like mules, so you need a rigid mount.  To retrieve them easier, just turn into the board slightly and reel, then repeat for the next...no biggie.  Or if money is available, install electric reels like Tim :) 

Again, fwiw...

Ben~if you get the double keels. You'll want to anchor the front of your mast with a couple tie-downs. If you have the pedestal seat mount. I had mine pull out twice last yr...not fun!

yea okay forget that

Mine is a cob job we did last year on my own by mounting a piece of plywood under the thin metal sheet on the bow.. Def will not hold up to that kind of pull

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had an old set of yellow birds ,drilled and screwed them two inches insde the otter keel at the same angle. workes great even with a 400 and 500 copper off the same board!! (better pull,more floatation)

Now that's using some imagination Rollie :)

• 1 month later...

I got a set of half keels and wanted to know if i use the factory holes for mounting the half keel.  When i use the factory holes on the second keel they are not paralel to each other.  Looks like i need to drill a new front hole?  The keels in the pick below appear to be parallel.   Thanks for any help.

Don't know weight, but it is 1/2 the weight of a full keel.

Picture016.jpg

Edited by hairbone